- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, June 1997.
- M.S.C.E., Civil Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, June 1996.
- B.C.E., Civil Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, June 1991.
Dr. David W. Scott is a native of southeast Georgia. He received Bachelor's, Masters, and PhD degrees in Civil Engineering from Georgia Tech. After graduation, Dr. Scott accepted a position as a Research Engineer with the U.S. Army Engineer Research And Development Center (ERDC). Dr. Scott's primary duties were to perform and direct basic and applied research in support of U.S. Army civilian and military missions in the United States and abroad. In August of 2000, Dr. Scott left federal service to join Georgia Tech Savannah as an Assistant Professor in Civil Engineering. Dr. Scott's major research focus is the analysis and design of fiber-reinforced polymeric (FRP) materials in civil engineering. He has authored several papers in a variety of technical journals, and has served as an invited presenter at conferences both in the United States and abroad. He is a recipient of the Dow Chemical Award for Excellence in Composites Research, as well as a Commendation for Technical Excellence from the U.S. Army. In 2003, he received a Junior Faculty Teaching Excellence Award from the Georgia Institute of Technology's Center for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning.
- Design of structures constructed using high performance materials
- Repair and strengthening of structures using advanced materials and technologies
- Blast response of structures strengthened using FRP materials
- Viscoelastic characterization of polymeric materials
- Structural monitoring and damage detection
- Best Basic Research Paper, ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, 2004
- Junior Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, Georgia Tech Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, 2003
- Commendation for Technical Excellence, United States Army, 1998
- Honorable Mention Research Paper, ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, 1998
- Dow Chemical Award for Excellence in Composites Research, 1994
- Graduate Research Fellowship, National Science Foundation, 1992
- O.H. Amman Fellowship, American Society of Civil Engineers, 1991
- Scholarship, Georgia Engineering Foundation, 1989
- Bakhtiary, E., Lee, S.H., Stewart, L., Scott, D., and White, D., “Evaluation of guardrail posts installed in asphalt mow strips by static finite element simulation,” Open Journal of Civil Engineering, Accepted for publication 09/14/16 (in press).
- Lee, S.H., Bakhtiary, E., Scott, D., Stewart, L., and White, D., “Influence of Geometric Parameters on the Restraint of Guardrail Posts by Asphalt Mow Strips,” Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/23789689.2017.1278993
- Lee, S.H., Bakhtiary, E., Scott, D., Stewart, L., and White, D., “Effect Of Precut Asphalt Fracture Planes On Highway Guardrail Performance,” International Journal of Computational Methods and Experimental Measurements, Vol. 4, No. 3, 2016, pp. 353-363.
- Shin, J., Scott, D., Stewart, L., Yang, C.S., Wright, T., and DesRoches, R., “Dynamic Response of a Full-Scale Reinforced Concrete Building Frame Retrofitted with FRP Column Jackets,” Engineering Structures, Vol. 125, 2016, 244-253.
- Work, P., Sapp, A., Scott, D., and Dodd, M., “Influence of Small Vessel Operation and Propulsion System on Loggerhead Sea Turtle Injuries,” Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 393, 2010, pp. 168-175.
- Gentry, T. R., Anwar. J., Chen, M., and Scott, D., “Bearing Strength of Small-Diameter Self-Tapping Fasteners in Hybrid Steel-FRP Connections,” Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering – CICE 2016, Hong Kong, China, December 14-16, 2016, 16-187.
- Anwar. J., and Scott, D., “Creep of Pultruded Fiber-Reinforced Polymeric Materials Under Pin-Bearing Loads,” Proceedings of The Composites and Advanced Materials Expo - CAMX 2015, Dallas, TX, October 2015
- Scott, D., and Bennett, E., “Influence of Creep on the Stability of Pultruded Columns at Elevated Service Temperatures,” Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering – CICE 2012, Rome, Italy, June 13-15, 2012
- Schaefer, D. Scott, D., Molina, G., Al-Kalaani, Y., Murphy, T., Johnson, W., and Goeser, P., “Integration of Distance Learning Technology into Traditional Engineering Physical Laboratory Exercises,” Proceedings of the ASEE Southeastern Section Annual Meeting, Memphis, TN, April, 2008.
- Lindsey, S., and Scott, D., “Use of Hybrid Teaching Mechanisms to Improve Engineering Courses Delivered Via eLearning Platforms,” The 1st Annual Southeastern Scholarship Conference on e-Learning, Macon, GA, October 2005
- Scott, D., “Behavior of Steel Guardrail Posts Driven Through Asphalt Vegetation Barriers,” Georgia Transportation Summit, Athens, GA, November 30 2016.
- “Static and Dynamic Testing of Guardrail Systems in Asphalt Ground Layers,” GDOT/GTI Transportation Research Poster Session, September 13, 2016.
- “Finite Element Simulation of Guardrail Systems in Asphalt Ground Layers,” GDOT/GTI Transportation Research Poster Session, September 13, 2016.
- “Response of Steel Guardrail Posts Driven Through Asphalt Vegetation Barriers,” GDOT/GTI Transportation Research Poster Session, September 22, 2015.
- Scott, D., “Integrating Lecture and Lab Experiences in Courses with Large Enrollments, CETL Celebrating Teaching Day Poster Session, March 26, 2015.