- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, December 2006.
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, December 2005.
- M.S., Civil Engineering, National Taiwan University,Structural Engineering Division, June 1996.
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Tamkang University, Taipei, Taiwan, June 1994.
Dr. Chuang-Sheng (Walter) Yang is a research engineer II and an instructor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech). He completed his doctoral degree from Georgia Tech in December 2006 after obtaining two Master degrees in Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. His research interests include: (1) seismic design and behavior of buildings and bridges, (2) dynamic structural tests, (3) structural control, (4) smart materials and structures, and (4) applications of reliability and probabilistic methods. He is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, the American Institute of Steel Construction. Dr. Yang is pursuing patents for his development of several devices including: (1) Smart Hybrid Braces, (2) Rotary Friction Dampers, (3) Rotary Metallic Dampers, and (4) Smart Hybrid Rotary Dampers.
- Good Academic Scholarship, National Taiwan University (1995-1996)
- Ta-Yu Award (1991)
- Yang, Chuang-Sheng, Leon, Roberto T., and DesRoches, Reginald (2008). "Pushover response of a braced frame with suspended zipper struts." Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 134(10), 1619-1626. (Published).
- Yang, Chuang-Sheng, Leon, Roberto T., and DesRoches, Reginald (2008). "Design and behavior of zipper-braced frames." Engineering Structures, 30(4), 1092-1100. (Published).
- Yang, Chuang-Sheng, Leon, Roberto T., and DesRoches, Reginald (2010). "Cyclic behavior of zipper-braced frames." Earthquake Spectra, 26, 561-582 (Published).
- Yang, Chuang-Sheng (Walter), DesRoches, Reginald, and Leon, Roberto T. (2010). "Design and analysis of braced frames with shape memory alloy and energy-absorbing hybrid devices." Engineering Structures, 32, 498-507. (Published).
- Yang, C.S. (Walter), Wu, L.Y., Chung, L.L., and Chung, N.H. (2010). "Modified predictive control of structures with direct output feedback." Structural Control and Health Monitoring (Published online in Wiley InterScience (www.interscience.wiley.com). DOI: 10.1002/stc.411).
- Yang, CS. W., DesRoches, R., and Leon, R. (2012). “Quasi-Static and Dynamic Tests of a Smart Hybrid Brace.” 2012 Structural Congress, Chicago, Illinois, USA. (Accepted).
- Yang, CS. W., DesRoches, R., and Leon, R. (2012). “Performance of Robust Hybrid Braced Frames.” The 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Yang, CS. W., and DesRoches, R. (2012). “Fragility Analysis of Straight and Skewed Bridges with Hybrid Self-Centering SMA and Energy-Dissipation Devices” The 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Mirzaeifar, R., Yang, CS. W., Yavari, A., and DesRoches, R. (2011). “Numerical analysis of shape memory alloy “S” shaped elements used as energy dissipating devices.” The 6th International Symposium on Steel Structures, Seoul, Korea.
- Yang, Chuang-Sheng, DesRoches, Reginald, and Leon, Roberto T. "Energy-Absorbing and Re-centering Devices of Hybrid Steel and Shape Memory Alloys." (Provisional patent, GTRC ID 4722, June 2009).