- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 2000
- MSc Civil Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1997
- BSc Civil Engineering, Inha University, South Korea, 1996
Dr. Yong Cho, MSCE ’97, has returned to CEE as an associate professor. Cho comes to Georgia Tech most recently from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and the University of Wisconsin-Platteville, where he taught construction engineering, construction management, and architectural engineering after earning his doctorate at the University of Texas in 2000. A 2011 recipient of the NSF Early Career Award, his research interests include building energy, construction automation, and transportation. He is leading the development of a new paradigm in these research areas by challenging the current understanding of science/engineering technologies in construction and sustainable built environments. Among the challenges he is investigating are robotizing several critical construction and maintenance tasks; and developing sustainable energy improvement methods in the built environment.
- Construction Automation and Robotics
- Infrastructure Construction and Maintenance
- Energy in Built Environment
- Construction Safety Technology
- 2016, Best paper award, International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction (ISARC), Auburn, Alabama, USA, July 20, 2016
- 2015, Outstanding reviewer of ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management For year 2014
- 2015, Leadership in Use of Educational Technology Award at School of Civil and Environmental Engineeing, Georgia Tech
- 2014,Ourstanding reviewer of ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management
- 2014, Bill Schutz Junior Faculty Teaching Award at School of Civil and Environmental Engineeing, Georgia Tech
- 2014, Recipient of NSF Travel Grant for North America-East Asia Workshop on Big Data Analytics for Infrastructure and Building Sustainability and Resilience (IBSR) Research, Beijing, China, Sept 19-20, 2014
- 2013, Best paper award, International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction (ISARC), Montreal, Canada, August 24, 2013
- 2013, Outstanding Educator, Durham School, University of Nebraska-Lincoln(UNL), April 18, 2013
- 2012, Outstanding reviewer of ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering
- 2012, Research & Creative Activity Award, College of Engineering, UNL
- 2011, NSF Early Faculty CAREER Award from the Civil Infrastructure Systems (CIS) Program
- 2010, Construction Programs 2010 Professor of the Year, Durham School, UNL
- 2009, Excellent Paper Award, “Virtual Interactive Construction Education (VICE) using BIM tools,” 3rd International Conference on Construction Engineering and Management and 6th International Conference on Construction Project Management, Jeju, Korea, May 27-30
- 1999, TEXACO Scholarship, TEXACO, University of Texas at Austin
- 1996, Graduation Honor Award (ranked 1st out of 99 students), Inha University, Korea.
- See the latest update at http://rical.ce.gatech.edu/publications.html
- Leite. F., Cho, Y. , Behzadan, A., Lee, S., Choe, S., Fang, Y., Akhavian, R., Hwang, S. (2016). "Visualization, Information Modeling and Simulation Grand Challenges in the Construction Industry." ASCE's Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, Accpeted March 2016
- Zhang, K., Wang, C., and Cho, Y. (2016). "Development and Implementation of a Virtual Outside Air Wet-bulb Temperature Sensor for Improving Water-cooled Chiller Plant Energy Efficiency." Journal of Sustainable Cities adn Society, doi:10.1016/j.scs.2016.02.012
- Fang, Y., Cho, Y. , Zhang, S., and Perez, E. (2015). "A Case Study of BIM and Cloud-enabled Real-time RFID Indoor Localization for Construction Management Applications." ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Accepted.
- Kim, K., and Cho, Y. (2015)."Construction-Specific Spatial Information Reasoning in Building Information Models" Journal of Advanced Engineering Informatics. doi:10.1016/j.aei.2015.08.004
- Youn, J. and Cho, Y. (2010). "Portable ultra-wideband localization and asset tracking for mobile robot applications," Book Chapter, Sciyo’s publications, Special Issue, Ultra Wideband, Rijeka, Croatia.
- Cho, Y., Youn, J., and Pham, N. (2008). “Performance Tests for Wireless Real-time Localization Systems to Improve Mobile Robot Navigation in Various Indoor Environments,” I-Tech Book Chapter 21, Special Issue, Robotics and Automation in Construction, Vienna Austria, pp. 95-112.
- Kim, K., and Cho Y. (2015). “Automated Safety Planning of Scaffolding-Related Hazards in Building Information Modeling (BIM).” The 6th International Conference on Construction Engineering and Project Management (ICCEPM). Busan, Korea, Oct. 11-14, 2015
- Kim, K. and Cho, Y., (2015). "BIM-based Planning Of Temporary Structures For Construction Safety." 2015 ASCE International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering, June 21-23, Austin, TX.
- Fang, Y. and Cho, Y. (2015). “Advance Crane Lifting Safety through Real-time Crane Motion Monitoring and Visualization”. The 6th International Conference on Construction Engineering and Project Management (ICCEPM). Busan, Korea, Oct. 11-14, 2015
- Fang, Y. and Cho, Y. (2015). “Analyzing Construction Workers’ Recognition of Hazards by Estimating Visual Focus of Attention”. The 6th International Conference on Construction Engineering and Project Management (ICCEPM). Busan, Korea, Oct. 11-14, 2015
- Park, J., Cho, Y., and Ahn, C. (2016). “ Wireless Tracking System Integrated with BIM for Indoor Construction Applications.” Construction Research Congress, San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA. May 31-Jine 2, 2016.
- “ A Framework for Cloud-based Energy Evaluation and Management for Sustainable Decision Support in the Built Environments”, NSF workshop- North America-East Asia Workshop on Big Data Analytics for Infrastructure and Building Sustainability and Resilience (IBSR) Research, Beijing, Sept 19-21.
- " Pavement crack cleaning device,” invited poster sections by NCHRP IDEA, Washington D.C., Jan. 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015.
- “Rapid Workspace Modeling of Dynamic Construction Equipment.” Hanyang University, Korea, July, 2014.
- “Non-Invasive Automated 3D Thermal Model Creation of Existing “Non-Invasive Automated 3D Thermal Model Creation of Existing Buildings for Sustainable Retrofits Decision Making.” Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea, July, 2014.
- “Non-Invasive Automated 3D Thermal Model Creation of Existing Buildings for Sustainable Retrofits Decision Making.” Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea, July, 2014.
- 2016, a provisional patent, “Crack Routing Machine (CRD) for road crack/joint sealing.”
- 2015, a provisional patent, “Integrating Spatial Flows and Temporary Structures into BIM-based Construction Planning and Simulation.” GTRC-6965, Serial number: 62/158,976
- 2014, a provisional patent, “Bluetooth Proximity Sensing System for Construction Safety.” GTRC-6859, Serial number: 62/140,118