- Ph.D., Engineering Sciences (Specialization in Solids State Physics), Moscow State Mining University, 1982.
- M.S. (includes B.Sc.), Engineering Physics (Specialization in Physical Processes in Mining), Moscow State Mining University, 1977.
- Properties of earth and extra-terrestrial materials
- Rock mechanics
- Fracture mechnanics
- Micro-mechanical modeling
- Applied mathematical methods
- Mining and petroleum engineering
- 2003 Award for Research in Rock Mechanics from the American Rock Mechanics Association
- 2002 Georgia Tech Sigma Xi Best Paper Award
- 2001 CEE Best Paper Award
- 2000 Basic Research Award for Significant Original Contribution from the U.S. National Committee for Rock Mechanics
- 1999 Dowell‐Schlumberger Petroleum Geomechanics Grant
- 1999 CEE Outstanding Interdisciplinary Activity Award
- 1996 Elected as a Foreign Fellow by the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences
- Germanovich L.N., Kim S., Puzrin A.M. (2016), Dynamic growth of slip surfaces in catastrophic landslides, Proc. of the Royal Society: A – Math., Phys. and Eng. Sciences, Vol. 472 (2185): 20150758, http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rspa.2015.0758, pages 1-28.
- Puzrin, A. M., L. N. Germanovich, and B. Friedli (2016), Shear band propagation analysis of submarine slope stability, Géotechnique, Vol. 66, Issue 3, pages 188-201, DOI: 10.1680/jgeot.15.LM.002.
- Choi, J.-W., Germanovich, L.N., Murdoch, L.C., and Castle, J.W. (2016) Pressure transients to characterize cavities dissolved for natural gas storage, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, Vol. 33, pp. 611-623, DOI: 10.1016/j.jngse.2016.03.082
- Craft K.L., Patterson, G.W., Lowell, R.P., Germanovich, L.N. (2016), Fracturing and flow: Investigations on the formation of shallow water sills on Europa, Icarus, Vol. 274, pp. 297-313.
- Germanovich, L.N., Hurt, R.S., J.E. Smith, Gence, G., and R.P. Lowell (2015), Measuring fluid flow in seafloor hydrothermal environments, Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 120, DOI:10.1002/2015JB012245, pages 1-25.
- Puzrin A.M., Rushton, D., Mackenzie, B., Germanovich, L.N., and Randolph, M. (2016) Submarine Landslides—Stability Analysis and Risk Assessment for Offshore Developments, Encyclopedia of Maritime and Offshore Engineering, JohnWiley & Sons, Ltd., Edited by John Carlton, Yoo Sang Choo, and Paul Jukes, ISBN: 978-1-118-47635-2, pp. 1 – 14 (in press)
- Cherepanov, G. P. and Germanovich, L. N., 1998, Theory of catastrophes and failure criteria, Chapter 11 in Fracture: A topical Encyclopedia of Current Knowledge Dedicated to Alan Arnold Griffith, Krieger Publishing Co., Malabar, Florida, USA, pp. 255‐274.
- Dmitriev, A. P., Goncharov, S. A., and Germanovich, L. N., 1990, Thermal Fracture of Rocks, Nedra Publishers, Moscow, 256 pp.
- Germanovich, L.N., Murdoch, L.C., Garagash, D., Reches, Z., Martel, S.J., Gwaba, D., Elsworth, D., Onstott, T.C., 2011, Earthquake Rupture Experiment on the Homestake Fault, CMMI Conference, Atlanta, GA, 9 pp.
- Germanovich, L.N. and Balueva, A.V., 2009, A Transient Model of Hydrogen Induced Delamination. Proceedings of 12th International Conference on Fracture, Ottawa, Canada, pp. 201‐211.
- Wu, R., L.N. Germanovich, and R. Hurt, 2009, Experimental and theoretical study of mixedmode I+III crack propagation and segmentation, The 43rd US Rock Mechanics Symposium and 4th U.S.‐Canada Rock Mechanics Symposium, held in Asheville, NC June 28th – July 1, 9 pp.
- Murdoch, L.C., D.B. Hisz, J.F. Ebenhack, D.E. Fowler, C. R. Tiedeman, L. N. Germanovich, 2009, Analysis of Hydromechanical Well Tests in Fractured Sedimentary Rock at the NAWC Site, New Jersey. The 43rd US Rock Mechanics Symposium and 4th U.S.‐Canada Rock Mechanics Symposium, held in Asheville, NC June 28th – July 1, 8 pp.
- Germanovich, L.N., C. Ozan, and S. Mukundan, 2009, A mechanism of subdural hematoma following ventricular decompression, Poromechanics IV: Proceedings of the Fourth Biot Conference on Poromechanics, eds. H.I. Ling, A. Smyth, and R. Betti, DEStech Publications, Inc., N.Y., pp. 113‐118.
- 2011 Keynote Lecture, Symposium “Physics of the Seismic Process: from Laboratory Studies to Field Observations” at the XXV International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics General Assembly, Melbourne Australia (to be delivered on July 2, 2011)
- 2009 Keynote Lecture, Scientific Conference “From Shear Bands to Rapid Flow,” Monte Verità, Switzerland
- 2008 Keynote Speaker, 5th International Conference on Flow Dynamics, Sendai, Japan
- 2007 Guest Lecture, Schlumberger Client‐Advisory Board Meeting with Major Petroleum Companies, Anaheim, California
- 2005 Guest Lecture, Symposium “Homogenization and Effective Characteristics” at the 8th U.S. National Congress on Computational Mechanics, Austin, 2005
- Germanovich, L.N., Churaev, N.F., Kusov, N.F., and Voronkov, G.Ya., 1981, Composition for physico‐chemical fracture of the mineral combustible solids, Patent certificate of the USSR, No. 836342, described in Official Bulletin of the USSR Committee for Invention and Discovery Affairs, No. 21, p. 167.