- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1976.
- M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, 1967.
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Stanford University, 1966.
Dr. Kahn teaches both undergraduate and graduate courses in the area of structural engineering. Subjects include structural analysis, reinforced concrete, prestressed concrete, masonry, and senior design. Principal research areas include use of high performance concrete, repair and rehabilitation of structures, earthquake engineering, and computer-aided engineering and design. From 1993 through March 2000, Dr. Kahn was the director of the Computer-Aided Structural Engineering Center which conducts research, development and publication of GTSTRUDL and other structural engineering software. Further, he conducts experimental research in the areas of structural concrete, structural masonry, and fiber reinforced plastics with emphasis on repair and rehabilitation.
- Structural concrete and masonry
- High performance concrete for prestressed concrete bridges
- Self-compacting concrete
- Repair and rehabilitation of bridges and buildings
- Earthquake resistant design and retrofit
- Delmar L. Bloem Distinguished Service Award “for outstanding leadership of Committee 562, Evaluation, Repair and Rehabilitation of Concrete Buildings,” American Concrete Institute, October 2013
- School of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Outstanding Senior Teaching Award, 2012
- ASTM, Outstanding Article in the Journal of Testing and Evaluation: Garas, Victor; Kahn, Lawrence; and Kurtis, Kimberly; “Tensile Creep Test of Fiber-Reinforced Ultra-High Performance Concrete,” Journal of Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 38, No. 6, American Society of Testing and Materials (www.astm.org) paper JTE102666, June 2010.
- Best Paper award, TMS Journal, (2007) for the paper “Effective Pier Model for the Nonlinear In-Plane Analysis of Individual URM Piers,” The Masonry Society Journal, vol. 23, n. 1, December 2005, authored by Yi, Tianyi; Moon, Frank; Leon, Roberto; and Kahn, Lawrence
- The Masonry Society, President’s Award, May 2006
- Elected Fellow, The Masonry Society, May 2006
- Institute Outstanding Professional Education Award, April 2005
- Outstanding Doctoral Thesis, presented by The Masonry Society to Dr. Franklin Moon with Drs. Lawrence Kahn and Roberto Leon, Advisors, October 2004
- Outstanding Paper Award, authored by Moon, Frank; Yi, T.; Leon, R.T.; and Kahn, L.F.; 9th North American Masonry Conference, June, 2003
- ANAK Award, Institute wide award for outstanding professor given by ANAK Honor Society, 2003
- Outstanding Professor in Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech (voted by ASCE student chapter), 1978, 1979, 1981, 1993 and 1995.
- Composite Institute "Best Paper" with Dr. Abdul Zureick and Mr. B. J. Bandy, 1994
- Elected ACI Georgia Section "Distinguished Chapter Member", 1994
- Who's Who in Engineering
- Elected Fellow of the American Concrete Institute, 1983
- Raymond C. Reese Research Prize, ASCE, 1980
- Outstanding Graduate Student in Civil Engineering, University of Michigan, 1975
- Sigma Xi Honor Fraternity, 1975
- Chi Epsilon Honor Fraternity, 1975 (Elevated to Honor Member Georgia Tech 2011)
- Rackham Doctoral Fellowship, University of Michigan, 1975
- National Science Foundation Traineeship, 1971
- Graduation "With Distinction", Stanford University, 1966
- Holland, R.; K.Kurtis, R.Moser, L.Kahn, F.Aguayo, and P.Singh, “Multiple Deterioration Mechanisms in Coastal Concrete Piling: a Forensic Case Study,” Concrete International, v.36, n.7, American Concrete Institute, July 2014
- Chi-Won In, R. Brett Holland, Jin-Yeon Kim, Kimberly E. Kurtis, Lawrence F. Kahn, and Laurence J. Jacobs; “Quantitative monitoring of self-healing in concrete using diffuse ultrasound,” NDT & E International Journal, vol. 57, Elsevier, 2013 pp. 36-44
- Hurff, Jonathan, and Lawrence Kahn; “Lateral-Torsional Buckling of Structural Concrete Beams: Experimental and Analytical Study,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 138, No. 9, Sept. 2012, pp. 1138-1148
- Hurff, Jonathan, and Lawrence Kahn; “Rollover Stability of Precast, Prestressed Concrete Bridge Girders with Flexible Bearings,” PCI JOURNAL, Vol. 57, No. 4, Fall 2012, pp. 96-107
- Mezencevova, A; N.N. Yeboah, S.E. Burns, L.F. Kahn and K.E. Kurtis; “Utilization of Savannah Harbor River Sediment as the Primary Raw Material in Production of Fired Brick,” Journal of Environmental Management, Vol 113, Academic Press pp. 128-138
- Zureick, A. and Kahn, L., “Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Composite Materials for Rehabilitation of Reinforced Concrete Structures,” Chapter in Engineered Materials Handbook, Volume 1, Composites, ASM International, Phoenix, 2001
- Sabnis, Gajanan M.; Shroff, Avanti C.; and Kahn, Lawrence F., ed.; Seismic Rehabilitation of Concrete Structures, SP-160, American Concrete Institute, Detroit, MI, 1996, pp. 318
- Schuetz, Daniel, L. Kahn, K. Kurtis, P.Singh, and R. Moser; “Preliminary Studies of the Mechanical Behavior of High-Strength Stainless Steel Prestressing Strands,” Proceedings PCI Convention and National Bridge Conference, Nashville, TN Sept 29-Oct 2, Paper #70
- R.D. Moser, Kahn, L.F., Singh, P.M., Kurtis, K.E.; “Preliminary Studies of High-Strength Stainless Prestressing Steels,” ACI SP: Hope & Schupack Corrosion Symposium, ACI Convention, March 2012.
- Crane, Kennan and Kahn, L.F.; “Interface Shear Capacity of Small UHPC/HPC Composite Beams”, 3rd International Symposium on Ultra-high Performance Concrete, Universitat Kassel, Kassel, Germany, March 7-9, 2012
- Mezencevove, Andrea; N Yeboah, A. Crotty, S. Burns, L. Kahn, and K.Kurtis; “Assessment of Bricks Produced from Savannah River Sediment: Case Study in 100% Recycled Content Brick,” Proceedings 11th North American Masonry Conference, Minneapolis, MN, June 5-8, 2011
- Gentry, T.R., T. Al-Haddad, A. Cavieres, and L Kahn; “Structural Analysis and Design of Non-planar Corbeled Concrete Masonry Walls,” Proceedings 11th North American Masonry Conference, Minneapolis, MN, June 5-8, 2011 pp. 12
- The Crystal Palace: Materials and Structural Engineering, Great Buildings and Structures Symposium, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, April 5, 2014
- History and Background of ACI 562 Code, ACI Convention, Reno, Nevada, March 25, 2014
- Approach to ACI 562, ACI Strategic Development Council Forum, Atlanta, Feb. 2014
- ACI 562, ACI’s new concrete repair code, ICRI/ACI Georgia, Oct. 2013
- High-Strength Stainless Steel Prestressing Strands for Marine Piles”, web presentation to PCI, August 15, 2013
- PadCaps for Concrete Cylinder Testing@, disclosure to Georgia Institute of Technology, 1996.
- Fiber Reinforced Plastic Membrane for Bridge Deck Reinforcement, disclosure to Georgia Institute of Technology, 1993.
- Facility and Method for Seafloor Storage and Supply of Bulk Fuel, with Harvey H. Haynes and Norman D. Albertsen, U.S. Patent No. 4,007,700, 1977.
- "Underwater In situ Placement of Concrete," U.S. Patent No. 3,745,775, 17 July 1973.
- Damping Shear Wall for Earthquake Resistant Construction, Disclosure to the University of Michigan, 1972.