- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Purdue University, IN, 1987
- MSc, Civil Engineering, University of Maryland, MD, 1984
- Civil Engineering, Universidad Nacional de Córdoba, Argentina, 1982
J. Carlos Santamarina is a Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology. Dr. Santamarina graduated from Universidad Nacional de Cordoba (Ingeniero Civil), and completed graduate studies at the University of Maryland (MSc) and Purdue University (PhD).
He taught at NYU-Polytechnic University and at the University of Waterloo (Canada). Two books and more than 200 publications authored by Dr. Santamarina summarize salient concepts and research results. His former doctoral students are faculty members, researchers or practicing engineers at leading universities and organizations worldwide. Dr. Santamarina is a frequent keynote speaker at international events; a member of both Argentinean National Academies (Sciences and Engineering); and a member of the standing Committee on Geological and Geotechnical Engineering at the USA National Academies. He is a recipient of a number of prestigious awards including the ASTM Hogentogler Award.
- His research team explores the scientific foundations of soil behavior and subsurface processes using innovative particle- and pore-scale testing methods combined with high resolution process monitoring systems and inversion techniques. This conceptual and experimental framework is enabling the study of phenomena and the development of transformative solutions in geotechnical engineering in the area of energy geotechnology with contributions to: efficiency and conservation, resource recovery (petroleum, methane hydrates), energy storage, and waste utilization (carbon geological storage, fly ash and nuclear waste).
- BGA Touring Lecturer, British Geotechnical Association (2012)
- SAIG Honorary Member, Argentinean Geotechnical Association (2011)
- Weston Lecture, University Wisconsin-Madison (2011)
- Shaw Lecture, North Carolina State University (2011)
- Tewkesbury Lecture, U. Melbourne (2010)
- IACMAG Excellent Paper Award (2008)
- USA National Academies: (1) Member, Standing Committee on Geological and Geotechnical Engineering (2006 – present), (2) Member, Study Committee on Geological and Geotechnical Engineering in the New Millennium: Opportunities for Research and Technological Innovation (2004-2006)
- World Innovation Foundation, Fellow (since 2005)
- ASTM International Hogentogler Award (2005)
- Academia Nacional de Ingeniería, Argentina, Member (National Academy of Engineering - Elected in 2005)
- Academia Nacional de Ciencias Exactas, Físicas y Naturales, Argentina (National Academy of Sciences – Elected in 2003)
- Honorary Professor, U. Nacional de Córdoba, Argentina (since 2003)
- Keynote speaker, USA and abroad (see listing in Section IV-F)
- Who's Who: in America (Marquis Research, 1996); Among Hispanic Americans (Gale Research, 1995); Professionals in America (Empire, 2004). Executives and Leaders (Manchester, 2004)
- Goizueta Foundation Faculty Chair (since 2002 - Refer to previous sections)
- Sustained Research Award, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology (2002).
- Research Program Development Award, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology (1998).
- Research Award, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Polytechnic U. (1991)
- Sigma Xi, Grant-in-aid, University of Maryland (1984).
- Maple Point Foundation Award, Purdue University (1986).
- Research Fellow, Collapsible soils, Cordoba State Highway Administration, Argentina (1980-1981).
- Cha, M.S. and Santamarina, J.C. (2013), Pre-dissolution and Post-dissolution Penetration Resistance, ASCE J. Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering vol. 139, 2193-2200.
- Dai, S. and Santamarina, J.C. (2013), Water Retention Curve for Hydrate-Bearing Sediments, Geophysical Research Letters vol. 40, 5637-5641.
- Pasten C., Shin, H. and Santamarina J.C (2013), Long-Term Foundation Response to Repetitive Loading, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, released ahead of print.
- Kim, S. H. and Santamarina, J. C. (2013). Engineered CO2 injection for geological storage - The Use of Surfactants, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control vol. 20, pp. 324-332.
- Kim, S. H. and Santamarina, J. C. (2013). CO2 breakthrough and leak-sealing – Experiments on shale and cement, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, vol. 19, pp. 471-477.
- Santamarina, J.C. and Ruppel, C. (2010). The Impact of Hydrate Saturation on the Mechanical, Eledctrical and Thermal Properties of Hydrate-Bearing Sands, Silts and Clay, in Geophysical Characterization of Gas Hydrates, SEG Geophysical Developments Series No. 14, Editors M. Riedel, E.C. Willoughby, and S. Chopra, pp. 373-384.
- Santamarina, J.C. and Shin, H.S. (2009). Friction in Granular Media, in Meso-scale Shear Physics in Earthquake and Landslide Mechanics, Editors: Y.H. Hatzor, J. Sulem, I. Vardoulakis, CRC Press, pp. 157-188.
- Santamarina, J.C. and Fratta, D. (2005). Discrete Signals and Inverse Problems – An Introduction for Engineers and Scientists, J. Wiley and Sons, Chichester, UK, 350 pages (Updated new edition of the earlier book with Fratta).
- Santamarina, J.C., Rinaldi, V., Fratta, D., Klein, K., Wang, Y.H., Cho, G.C., Cascante, G. (2005). A Survey of Elastic and Electromagnetic Properties of Near-Surface Soils, in Near-Surface Geophysics, Chapter 4, Ed. D. Buttler, SEG, pp. 71-87.
- Santamarina, J.C., in collaboration with Klein, K. and Fam, M. (2001). Soils and Waves, J. Wiley and Sons, Chichester, UK, 488 pages.
- Bang, ES, Son, JS and Santamarina, J.C., Subsurface CO2 Leakage: Lab-Scale Study of Salient Characteristics and Assessment of Borehole-Based Detection Using Resistivity Tomography. 4th International Conference on Geotechnical and Geophysical Site Characterization (ISC'4), Porto de Galinhas, Pernambuco – Brazil, September 2012.
- Santamarina, J.C. and Hyodo, M. (2011), US-Japan Hydrate Meeting at Georgia Tech. Future Research, DOE Fire in the Ice, vol. 10, n. 3, pp. 26-27.
- Waite, W.F., J.C. Santamarina, M. Rydzy, S.H. Chong, J.L.H. Grozic, K. Hester, J. Howard, T.J. Kneafsey, J.Y. Lee, S. Nakagawa, J. Priest, E. Rees, C. Koh, E.D. Sloan, A. Sultaniya (2011), Inter-Laboratory Comparison of Wave Velocity Measurements in a Sand Under Hydrate-Bearing and Other Set Conditions, Proc. 7th International Conference on Gas Hydrates (ICGH 2011), Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom, July 17-21, 2011.
- D.Bakun-Mazor, Y.H. Hatzor, S.D. Glaser, J.C. Santamarina, Climatic effects on key-block motion:evidence from the rock slopes of Masada world heritage site. ARMA 2011.
- Santamarina, J.C. (2010), Research, Teaching & Practice in Geo-Engineering Development Is the Past a Prologue to the Future?, Notes and slides, compiled by J. K. Mitchel, ASCE Geo-Institute Conference, Florida.
- Pore and Particle Scale Experiments, Series of two lectures at the ALERT School on Geomaterials, Aussois, France (October 2012)
- Soil Characterization – New Concepts in the Information Technology Age (tentative), Conference of the European Association ALERT-Geomaterials, Aussois, France (October 2012)
- Geophysical Characterization, Panamerican Conference, Toronto (October 2011)
- Energy: a Geo-Centered Perspective, University of Wisconsin- Madison (November 2011)
- Natural Gas And Hydraulic Fracturing, Clean Energy Speaker Series, Georgia Tech (October 2011)
- Engineered CO2 sequestration (Provisional Patent Application, 2011)
- In Situ Vs Profiling, J.S. Lee and J.C. Santamarina (Disclosure 1/2006)
- Stress-Controlled Granular Filtration and Flushing, J.R. Valdes, S.H. Liang, and J.C. Santamarina (Disclosure: 2/2005)