Director, Brook Byers Institute for Sustainable Systems, Hightower Chair and Georgia Research Alliance Eminent Scholar in Environmental TechnologiesEnvironmental Engineering
Resilient Infrastructure Systems, Sustainable Communities
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Ph.D. Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, 1976
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MSE Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, 1972
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, BSE Chemical Engineering, 1971
- Pollution Prevention
- Physical Chemical Treatment Processes (Ion Exchange, Oxidation Processes, Catalytic Oxidation, Photocatalytic Oxidation, Electrocatalysis, Adsorption, Electro-Adsorption, Air Stripping)
- Transport of Organics in Saturated and Unsaturated Groundwater
- Modeling of Fixed-Bed Reactors and Adsorbers (Photocatalysis, Low Temperature Catalysis in Aqueous and Gas Phases, Transport of Organics in Saturated and Unsaturated Groundwater)
- Sol-Gel Chemistry for Preparation of Zeolites and Catalysts
- Surface Chemistry and Thermodynamics (Prediction of Adsorption Capacities and Surface Catalyzed Rate Constants)
- Mass Transfer
- Numerical Methods
- Modeling of Wastewater and Water Treatment Processes
- 2018 Foreign Dean, Regional Green Low-carbon Development Institute, Hebei University of Economics and Business, 2017 to 2020.
- 2017 Honorary Professor, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China, 2017 to 2020.
- 2017 Honorary Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 2017 to 2020.
- 2016 Hal and Nina Fetner Fellow, Sustainable Enterprise Partnership, Syracuse University, New York.
- 2016 Elected as a Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers
- 2015 Professorship, Chinese Academy of Sciences President’s International Fellowship Initiative for Distinguished Scientists.
- 2015 Lifetime Member, Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors
- 2015 Athalie Richardson Irvine Clarke Prize, National Water Research Institute.
- 2015 Honorary Director of Sustainable Urban Infrastructure, Chinese Research Academy of Environmental Sciences.
- 2015 Chinese Academy of Sciences President’s Distinguished Scientist Award.
- 2014 Alumni Merit Award, University of Michigan, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- 2014 Honorary Professor, Northeast Normal University, Changchun, Jilin Province, China, to 2019.
- 2014 Executive Associate Editor-in-Chief, Frontiers of Chemical Science and Engineering, to 2017.
- 2014 Guest Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, State Key Laboratory of Urban and Regional Ecology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China, to 2017.
- 2013 Elected into the Chinese Academy of Engineering.
- 2013 Honorary Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, Heilongjiang Province, China.
- 2012 Honorary Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Sichuan University, Sichuan, China.
- 2011 Visiting Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China, to 2014.
- 2010 Honorary Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China, to 2016.
- 2010 Honorary Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, China, to 2013.
- 2009 Advising Professor, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China, to 2012.
- 2009 Visiting Professor, Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China, to 2011.
- 2008 Recognized by the American Institute of Chemical Engineers as one of the 100 Eminent Chemical Engineers in Modern Times.
- Xiao Sun, Zhongming Lu, Feng Li, John C. Crittenden, “Analyzing Spatio-temporal Changes and Trade-offs to Support the Supply of Multiple Ecosystem Services in Beijing, China,” 2018, Ecological Indicators, 94, 117–129, DOI: 10.1016/j.ecolind.2018.06.049.
- Jean-Ann James, Sangwoo Sung, Hyunju Jeong, Osvaldo A. Broesicke, Steven P. French, Duo Li, John C. Crittenden. “Impacts of Combined Cooling, Heating and Power Systems, and Rainwater Harvesting on Water Demand, Carbon Dioxide, and NOx Emissions for Atlanta,” 2018, Environmental Science & Technology, 52 (1), 3–10, DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.7b01115.
- Jing Chen, Yao Shi, Huijie Hou, Hong Pan, Dengke Yao, Jiakuan Yang, Linling Wang, John C. Crittenden, “Stabilization and Mineralization Mechanism of Cd with Cu-Loaded Attapulgite Stabilizer Assisted with Microwave Irradiation, Environmental Science and Technology, 2018, 52 (21), 12624–12632, DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.8b02832.
- Jianhong Ma, Jinming Luo, Yutang Liu, Yuanfeng Wei, Tao Cai, Xingwen Yu, Hui Liu, Chengbin Liu, John C. Crittenden, “Pb(II), Cu(II) and Cd(II) Removal Using a Humic Substance-Based Double Network Hydrogel in Individual and Multicomponent Systems,” 2018, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 6, 20110–20120, DOI: 10.1039/c8ta07250g.
- Delai Zhong, Yanrong Zhang, Linling Wang, Jing Chen, Yi Jiang, Daniel C.W. Tsang, Zezhou Zhao, Shupeng Ren, Zhenhua Liu, John C. Crittenden, “Mechanistic Insights into Adsorption and Reduction of Hexavalent Chromium from Water Using Magnetic Biochar Composite: Key Roles of Fe3O4 and Persistent Free Radicals,” 2018, Environmental Pollution, 243, 1302-1309, DOI: 10.1016/j.envpol.2018.08.093.
- Kerry Howe, D.W. Hand, J.C Crittenden, R. Trussell, and G. Tchobanoglous, Principles of Water Treatment, First Edition, 672 pages, ISBN 0470405384, John Wiley, NY (2012).
- Minne, L., Pandit, A., Crittenden, J.C., Begovic, M., Kim, I., Jeong, H., James, J.-A., Lu, Z., Xu, M., French, S.P., Subrahmanyam, M., Noonan, D.S., Brown, M.A., Chandler, J., Chen, Y., Williams, E., Desroches, R., Bras, B., Li, K., Chang, M., “Interdependence Between Electric Energy, Gas, Transportation and Water Infrastructures in Large Urban Areas”, in: Meyers, R.A. (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Sustainability Science and Technology, Earth and Environmental Science, p. 12555, Springer (2012).
- Crittenden, John, Steve French, Arka Pandit, Hyunju Jeong, Ke Li, Ming Xu, “Sustainable Infrastructure and Alternatives for Urban Growth,” in Cabezas, H. and Diwekar, U. (eds.), Sustainability: Multidisciplinary Perspectives, pp. 141-172 (32), ISBN: 978-1-60805-429-9, Bantam, 2012.
- Pandit, A., Jeong, H., Crittenden, J.C., French, S., Xu, M., Li, K., “Sustainable Infrastructure and Alternatives for Urban Growth,” ,” in Cabezas, H. and Diwekar, U. (eds.), Sustainability: Multidisciplinary Perspectives, pp. 173-196 (24), ISBN: 978-1-60805-429-9, Bantam, 2012.
- Hand, D.W., D.R. Hokanson, and J.C. Crittenden, Chapter 6. “Gas-Liquid Processes: Principles and Applications,” Water Quality and Treatment, AWWA, Denver, CO published 2011.
- Philip Pecher, John C. Crittenden, Zhongming Lu, and Richard Fujimoto, "Granular Cloning: Intra-Object Parallelism in Ensemble Studies," Proceedings of the 2018 ACM SIGSIM Conference on Principles of Advanced Discrete Simulation, 165-176, Rome, Italy, May 23-25, 2018.
- Xi Liu, Huibin Du, Zengkai Zhang, Guozhu Mao, John C. Crittenden, Juan Moreno-Cruz, “Water Transfer Through Interprovincial Trade within China: From the Perspective of Value Chain,” Meeting the Energy Demands of Emerging Economies, 40th International Association for Energy Economics International Conference, Singapore, June 18-21, 2017.
- Ajitesh Jain, Richard Fujimoto, John C. Crittenden, Mengmeng Liu, Jongchan Kim, Zhongming Lu, “Towards Automating the Development of Federated Distributed Simulations for Modeling Sustainable Urban Infrastructures,” Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE Winter Simulation Conference, 2668-2679, Huntington Beach, CA, USA, December 6-9, 2015.
- Insu Kim, Jean-Ann James, John C. Crittenden, "The Impact of Microturbines and PV systems Installed in Office Buildings in Energy-Efficient, Economical, and Environmental Aspects," 47th North American Power Symposium 2015, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA, October 4-6, 2015.
- Insu Kim, Jean-Ann James, and John Crittenden, “The Impact of Microturbines on Residential Customers,” IEEE Green Technologies Conference 2015, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, April 15-17, 2015.
- John C. Crittenden (in his role as member of the National Research Council of the National Academies’ Committee on Scientific Tools and Approaches for Sustainability), and numerous coauthors, “Sustainability Concepts in Decision-Making: Tools and Approaches for the US Environmental Protection Agency,” ISBN 978-0-309-31232-5, 2014, 156 pgs.
- Westerhoff, P.; Crittenden, J.; Moon, H.; Minakata, D. Oxidative Treatment of Organics in Membrane Concentrates. Water Reuse Research. 2010. Water Reuse Research Foundation. Alexandria, VA. 75 pgs.
- John C. Crittenden (Member of EPA’s National Advisory Council and Environmental Policy and Technology), “EPA Technology Programs and Intra-Agency Coordination,” EPA Report, EPA 100-R00-021, 2006, 46 pgs.
- John C. Crittenden, “Gigatechnology: Developing Sustainable Urban Infrastructure to Solve Gigaton Problems,” presented at the 2018-19 Rockwell Lecture Series, University of Houston, Houston, Texas, USA, October 19, 2018.
- Weiqiu Zhang, Shiqing Zhou , Shiqing Zhou, Jinming Luo, John C. Crittenden, “Insight Into the Oxidation Mechanism of UV/Free Chlorine Process,” presented at the 256th American Chemical Society Annual Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, August 21, 2018.
- Xiaoyang Meng, Weiqiu Zhang, John C. Crittenden, “The Application of Advanced Oxidation Processes (AOPs) and Development of Electrochemical and Development of Electrochemical Advanced Oxidation Processes (EAOPs): from Bench to Pilot Scale,” presented at the 256th American Chemistry Society Annual Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, August 21, 2018.
- John C. Crittenden, “Gigatechnology: Developing Sustainable Urban Infrastructure to Solve Gigaton Problems,” presented at the Georgia Tech Tianjin University Shenzhen Institute Forum, Shenzhen, China, July 18, 2018.
- John C. Crittenden, “Gigatechnology: Developing Sustainable Urban Infrastructure to Solve Gigaton Problems,” presented at the Tsinghua Environmental Forum, Special Session for the Chinese and U.S. Academies of Engineering to coincide with the 14th Chinese Academy of Engineering General Assembly, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, May 29, 2018.
- Xiaoyang Meng, Yongsheng Chen, John C. Crittenden, “Using Titanium Dioxide Nanotubes as an Electrode Material to Increase Electrode Conductivity and Decrease Energy,” U.S. Provisional Patent Application, Attorney Docket No.62/382,659, September 1, 2016.
- Wen Zhang, Guangshan Zhang, John Crittenden, Yongsheng Chen. Experimental Determination of Conduction and Valence Bands of Semiconductor Nanoparticles using Kelvin Probe Force Microscopy. Conception of invention October 2011. Disclosed to GTRI December 2011. Funded by USEPA Science to Achieve Results Program Grant RD83385601, Semiconductor Research Corporation (SRC)/ESH Grant (425.025), and research/education fund from Brook Byers Institute for Sustainable Systems
- Hristovski, K., Westerhoff, P., Crittenden, J., Olson, L., “Nanostructured Zirconium Oxide Spheres,” U.S. Provisional Patent Application Attorney Docket No. 22193- 047P01, 2009.