- Ph.D. Civil and Environmental Engineering, The University of Iowa, 1992
- M.S. Civil and Environmental Engineering, The University of Iowa, 1989
- B.A. Chemistry, Cornell College, 1986
Joseph Hughes received his Ph.D. and M.S. degrees from the University of Iowa in Environmental Engineering and a B.A. from Cornell College in Chemistry. He is an Adjunct Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Adjunct Professor of Material Science and Engineering, and Dean of the College of Engineering at Drexel University in Philadelphia. Prior to Georgia Tech, he was on the faculty of Rice University, also serving as Professor and Chair of Civil and Environmental Engineering. He has received the McKee Medal from the Water Environment Federation; the Walter P. Huber Research Prize from the American Society of Civil Engineers; the Charles Duncan Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement at Rice University; is a member of Chi Epsilon, and twice was recognized with the ASCE Outstanding Professor Award at Rice University. He has been active in the National Academy of Engineering's Frontiers of Engineering program as a speaker and organizer; is a Diplomat (by Eminence) of the American Academy of Environmental Engineering; and, is a member of the U.S. EPA science advisory committee on Environmental Engineering.
- Environmental biotechnology and in particular, determining how novel metabolic capabilities of living organisms can be harnessed to improve environmental quality
- Nanotechnology in environmental systems
- Georgia Engineer of the Year in Education, 2011.
- American Epidemiological Society 26th Annual Feldman Lecture, 2009.
- CH2MHill Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award, as Advisor, Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors, 2007.
- John McClanahan Henske Distinguished Lecture in Chemical/Environmental Engineering, Yale University, 2007.
- McKee Medal, for Achievement in Groundwater Protection, Restoration and Reuse from the Water Environment Federation, 2007.
- American Academy of Environmental Engineering, elected as Diplomat by Eminence 2007.
- AIChE's Best Applied Paper Award, South Texas Section, 2005.
- Georgia Institute of Technology Advanced Leadership Program, 2005.
- Walter P. Huber Research Prize, for Seminal Research in Environmental Biotechnology from the American Society of Civil Engineers, 2005.
- Organizer, National Academy of Engineering 9th Annual Frontiers of Engineering Symposium, 2003.
- Charles Duncan Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement from Rice University (given to one member of the faculty annually to recognize contributions in scholarship and teaching), 2002.
- ASCE Outstanding Professor Award, Rice University Chapter, 1997 and 2002.
- Invited Speaker, National Academy of Engineering and Van Humbolt Foundation 4th Annual German-American Frontiers of Engineering Symposium, 2001.
- Distinguished Alumnus Address, Institute for Biocatalysis and Bioprocessing, University of Iowa, 2000.
- Invited Speaker, National Academy of Engineering 1st Annual Frontiers of Engineering Symposium, 1995.
- Biocatalysis and Bioprocessing Graduate Fellow, University of Iowa, 1990-1992.
- Iowa Water Pollution Control Association: William Kirstin Scholarship, 1989.
- Chi Epsilon
- Da Silva, M. L. B., Daprato, R. C., Gomez, D. E., Hughes, J. B., Alvarez, P. J. J. and Ward, C. H. (2006) Comparison of Bioaugmentation and Biostimulation for the Enhancement of DNAPL Source Zone Remediation, Water Environment Research, in press.
- Lyon, D. L., J. D. Fortner, C. M. Sayes, V. L. Colvin, and J. B. Hughes (2005) Cell Association and Antimicrobial Activity on an Envronmentally-Relevant Pristine C60 Water Suspension with the Bacteria Eschericia Coli and Bacillus subtilis, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, accepted for publication.
- Daprato, R. C., C. Zhang, J. C. Spain, and J. B. Hughes (2005) Modeling Aerobic Bioremediation of 2,4-Dinitrotoluene in a Bioslurry Reactor, Environmental Engineering Science, accepted for publication.
- Tront, J., and J. B. Hughes (2005) Oxidative Microbial Degradation of 2,4,6-Trinitrotoluene via 3-methyl-4,6-dinitrocatecol, Environmental Science and Technology, (39), 4540-4549.
- Fortner, J D. D. Lyon, V. L. Colvin, and J. B. Hughes (2005) C60 in Water:Nanocrystal Formation and Biological Effects Environmental Science and Technology, (39), 4307-4316
- Ahmad, F., J.B. Hughes, and G.N. Bennett, (2005) "Biodegradation of Hazardous Materials by Clostridia", Handbook on Clostridia, Peter Durre, ed) CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Bock, C., M. Kolb, M Bokern, H. Harms, M. Mackova, L. Chroma, T. Macek, J. B. Hughes, C. Just, and J. Schnoor (2002) Advances in Phytoremediation: Phytotransformation in Innovative Approaches to the On-Site Assessment and Remediation of Contaminated Sites, D. Reible and K. Demnerova, Eds. NATO Science Series, Volume 15. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston.
- Ward, C.H., J. B. Hughes G. A. Pope, M. Delshad, V. Dwaranath, J. Spain, S. Nishino, J. S. Fruchter, W. R. Vermeul, M. D. Williams, and J. E. Szecsody (2002) In-Situ Treatment Technologies, Environmental Restoration, in Innovative Approaches to the On-Site Assessment and Remediation of Contaminated Sites, D. Reible and K. Demnerova, Eds. NATO Science Series, Volume 15. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston.
- Metabolism of Nitroaromatics and Explosive Compounds, (2000) Eds. J. Spain, H. Knackmuss, and J. B. Hughes, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Ahmad, F. and J. B. Hughes, (2000) Anaerobic Transformation of TNT by Clostridium, Chapter 8 of Metabolism of Nitroaromatics and Explosive Compounds, Eds. J. Spain, H. Knackmuss, and J. B. Hughes, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Hughes, J. B., K. Dustin, and C. H. Ward (2001) Bioremediation, Published Electronically by the Ground-Water Remediation Analysis Center, September, 2002.
- Anthropogenic Activity and Evolutionary Response, Workshop Chair and Keynote Address, Beijing University, Beijing, China, July, 2005.
- Bio- and Nanotechnologies for Geoenvironmental Engineering, Institute for Geotechnical Engineering, Eidgenossische Techninische Hochschule Zurich (ETH), March, 2005.
- A Grand Challenge for Environmental Scientists and Engineers: The Evolutionary Response to the Industrial Age, Beijing University, Beijing China, January, 2005.
- Harnessing Novel Metabolic Processes for the Restoration and Maintenance of Environmental Systems, Nankai University, College of Environmental Science and Enginereing, Tianjin, China, September, 2004.
- Report on Mangrove Decay in Cabinda, Angola. Phase 1: Satellite Image Analysis, Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment, Luanda, Angola and Cabinda, Angola, May, 2004.
- Hughes, J. B., C. J. Newell, R. T. Fisher, Process for in situ Biodegradation of Chlorinated Aliphatic Hydrocarbons by Subsurface Hydrogen Injection, February 11, 1997, U. S. Patent Number 5,602,296.