- Ph.D., Engineering, University of California at Irvine, 1991.
- M.S., Engineering, University of California at Irvine, 1986.
- B.S., Engineering, University of California at Irvine, 1983.
Dr. John D. Leonard II is an adjunct Associate Professor of Civil Engineering specializing in transportation and traffic engineering and, in August 2016, became an Associate Dean in the Virginia Commonwealth University College of Engineering. At Georgia Tech, he served as Associate Dean for Finance and Administration for the College of Engineering for nine years, and prior to that, as Associate Chair of the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering. From March 2002 to July 2004, Dr. Leonard served in various senior management roles within the State Road and Tollway Authority of Georgia. In February 2003, Dr. Leonard was appointed Executive Director (Interim) by Governor Sonny Perdue. During his tenure at the Tollway Authority, Dr. Leonard oversaw day-to-day operations, human resource management, financial management, process management, information systems, and strategic planning. Through his leadership, SRTA infused continuous quality improvement and business process engineering concepts into ongoing SRTA programs and processes. Dr. Leonard has published over 30 papers, book chapters, and reports and is a nationally recognized expert in the analysis and design of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and in the analysis and design of coordinated traffic signal systems. Dr. Leonard's research in traffic operations has led to an improved understanding of freeway congestion, and to the deployment of improved strategies for relieving system congestion related to incidents. Dr. Leonard's research in coordinated traffic signal systems has directly resulted in better tools and procedures for reducing surface street congestion. His ideas and tools are used around the country as part of low-cost, immediately applicable techniques for relieving traffic congestion on both freeways and surface streets. Dr. Leonard received his Bachelors of Science, Masters of Science, and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in Engineering in 1983, 1986, and 1991 respectively from the University of California Irvine.
- Technology Policy in Transportation
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
- Traffic Operations and Planning
- Traffic Engineering and Design
- Transportation Safety
- Traffic Modeling and Simulation
- Dwight David Eisenhower Faculty Fellowship, Federal Highway Administration, 1997.
- Certified Toastmaster (CTM), Spring 1996.
- Class of 1969 Teaching Fellow, Georgia Tech, Fall, 1994.
- Dwight David Eisenhower Faculty Fellowship, Federal Highway Administration, 1994.
- Dissertation Fellowship, University of California Transportation Center,1989-1990, 1990-1991.
- David Lee Shanbrom Memorial Fellowship, UC Irvine, 1991.
- Outstanding Civil Engineering Graduate Student, University of California, Irvine, 1985.
- University Scholar, UC Irvine, 1979.
- Bank of America Achievement Award, 1979.
- Ni, D., and J.D. Leonard (accepted, 2005). "A Novel Scheme for Overcoming the Missing Values and Variability Issues in ITS Data" in ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering.
- Daiheng Ni, John D. Leonard, and Angshuman Guin (2004) "A Systematic Approach for Validating Traffic Simulation Models." Journal of the Transportation Research Board, (in press)
- Oliveira, M.G., B. Williams, J.D. Leonard (2002) "Determining Traffic Stream Impacts of Radar Detectors using Microscopic Simulation" ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 129, No. 1, pp. 7-15.
- Oh, J., J.D. Leonard (2002). "Vehicle detection using video image processing system: evaluation of PEEK Videotrak", ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 129, No.4, pp.462-465.
- Olveira, M.G., J. Geishheimer, G. Greneker, J.D. Leonard (2001), "A study of radar detector usage on Georgia Highways" Transportation Research Record, No. 1779, pp. 100-108.
- Leonard, J.D. (2001) "Design of Transportation Facilities," Handbook of Mechanical Engineering, F. Kreith (Ed.), CRC Press.
- Leonard, J.D., and M.D. Meyer, (1997) "Design of Transportation Facilities," Handbook of Mechanical Engineering, F. Kreith (Ed.), CRC Press, pp. 10.8-10.16.
- Leonard, J.D. and M.D. Meyer (1995) "Design of Transportation Facilities," Handbook of Engineering, R.C. Dorf (Ed.), CRC Press, pp. 850-858.
- Ni, D. and J.D. Leonard (2005) . "Markov Chain Monte Carlo Multiple Imputation for Incomplete ITS Data Using Bayesian Networks" , 2005 Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, January 2005.
- Daiheng Ni and John D. Leonard (2004) "Development of TrafficXML: the Common Vocabulary for Traffic Simulation" National Research Council (U.S.). Transportation Research Board. Meeting (83rd : 2004 : Washington, D.C.). Preprint CD-ROM.
- Daiheng Ni and John D. Leonard (2003). Simulation of Freeway Merging and Diverging Behavior. Proceedings of the 2003 Winter Simulation Conference (ed. S. Chick, P. J. Sanchez, D. Ferrin, and D. J. Morrice, eds), Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Piscataway, NJ.
- R. Fujimoto and J. Leonard II (2002) "Grand Challenges in Modeling and Simulating Urban Transportation Systems," First International Conference on Grand Challenges for Modeling and Simulation, January.
- Oliveira, M.G., J.D. Leonard, J. Geishheimer, G. Greneker (2002), "A Methodology for Assessing the Impact of Radar Transmissions on a Work Zone'" National Research Council (U.S.). Transportation Research Board. Meeting (81st : 2002 : Washington, D.C.). Preprint CD-ROM
- Washington, S., J.D. Leonard, D.G. Manning, C. Roberts, B. Williams, A.R. Baccus, A. Devanhalli, J. Ogle, D. Melcher, (2002). Scientific Approaches to Transportation Research Vols. 1, 2 on CD ROM, NCHRP Project Report No.20-45.
- Leonard, J.D., W. Youngblood, B. Leonard and M. Meyer, (1997) Georgia's ITS Strategic Deployment Plan, Georgia Department of Transportation, February, 175p.