- Ph.D. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 2020
- M.S. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 2016
- B.Tech. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi 2014
Dr. Aditya Kumar will be joining the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology in August 2022. Currently, he is a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Department of Aerospace Engineering and Beckman Institute at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
His research interests broadly lie in the development of theoretical and computational tools to study fundamental phenomena in solid mechanics and materials, particularly soft heterogeneous materials. Recent areas of interest include fracture and healing in elastomers, adhesives and biological tissues; multi-physics modeling of the additive manufacturing process in polymers cured with frontal polymerization; and nonlinear homogenization of viscoelastic behavior.
- Mechanics and physics of soft matter
- Theoretical and computational fracture mechanics
- Frontal polymerization
- Additive manufacturing
- Multi-physics modeling of composite materials
- Nonlinear homogenization
- Mavis Future Faculty Fellowship, 2019-20
- ASME Haythornthwaite Foundation Student Award, 2019
- Graduate College Travel Fellowships, University of Illinois, 2017-19
- Certificate of excellence, Dean of Undergraduate Studies, IIT Delhi, 2014
- Undergraduate Research award, IIT Delhi, 2012
- Kumar, A., & Lopez-Pamies, O. (2021). “The poker-chip experiments of Gent and Lindley (1959) explained.” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 150, 104359.
- Kumar, A., Bourdin, B., Francfort, G. A., & Lopez-Pamies, O. (2020). “Revisiting nucleation in the phase-field approach to brittle fracture.” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 142, 104027.
- Kumar, A., Francfort, G. A., & Lopez-Pamies, O. (2018). “Fracture and healing of elastomers: A phase-transition theory and numerical implementation.” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 112, 523-551.
- Kumar, A., & Lopez-Pamies, O. (2016). “On the two-potential constitutive modeling of rubber viscoelastic materials.” Comptes Rendus Mecanique, 344(2), 102-112.
- Kumar, A., Gao, Y., & Geubelle, P. H. (2021). “Analytical estimates of front velocity in the frontal polymerization of thermoset polymers and composites.” Journal of Polymer Science, 59(11), 1109-1118.