John Z. Luh
Dr. Luh is a part-time Lecturer at the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology, where he teaches CEE 4600 in the summer and fall and CEE 6604 in the spring. Dr. Luh taught similar courses at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, Florida for 12 years before joining Georgia Tech in 2005.Dr. Luh is a full time Senior Transportation Engineer of the Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) Traffic Management Program in PBS&J, specializing in ITS design, traffic signal design, highway network evaluation, traffic engineering, and transportation planning. Dr. Luh joined the PBS&J Orlando, Florida Office in 1995 and moved to the Atlanta, Georgia Office in 2005.Dr. Luh received his Ph.D. in Transportation Engineering from the University of Florida in 1989, his M.S. in Transportation Engineering from the National Taiwan University in 1979, and his B.S. in Mathematical Sciences from the National Chengchi University in 1975.Dr. Luh is a licensed Professional Engineer in three states. He holds certifications for a Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE), American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP), and Associate Value Specialist (AVS).
- Ph.D., Transportation Engineering, University of Florida, 1989
- M.S., Transportation Engineering, National Taiwan University, 1979
- B.S., Mathematical Sciences, National Chengchi University, 1975
- ITS design
- Traffic signal design
- Highway network evaluation
- Traffic engineering
- Transportation planning
- Case Studies for the Simulation of Roadway and Traffic Operations, Using CORSIM, Institute of Transportation Engineering Journal.
- Traffic Progression Assessment in Traffic Impact Studies, Institute of Transportation Engineering Journal.
- Stop Probability and Delay Estimations at Low Volumes for Semi-Actuated Traffic Signals, Transportation Science.
- Late Night Traffic Signal Control Strategies for Arterial Systems, Transportation Research Record 1287.
- Capacity Computation of Right-Turn-On-Red Using the 1985 Highway Capacity Manual, Institute of Transportation Engineering Journal.
- Using Queue Distance to Supplement Traffic Signal Timing Design, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering.
- DELVACS: A Computer Program for Performance Evaluation of Low Volume Coordinated Semi-Actuated Systems Proceedings of the ASCE, the third International Conference on Microcomputers in Transportation.
- Traffic-Responsive Strategies for Personal-Computer-Based Traffic Signal Control Systems, Ph.D. dissertation, University of Florida.
- Computation of Signalized Intersection Service Volumes Using the 1985 Highway Capacity Manual, Transportation Research Record 1194.
- Development of Guidelines for Implementing Computerized Timing Designs at Traffic Actuated Signals, Transportation Research Center, University of Florida.
- A Study on Taipei Area Student Transportation Issues and Improvement Scheme, Transportation Planning Journal Quarterly.
- Interchange Planning and Functional Design, PBS&J, 2000 and 2005
- Using Function Analysis and Special Evaluation Techniques to Solve the Maze of a Complex Interchange, AASHTO Value Engineering Annual Conference, July 15-18, 2003.
- Case Studies for the Simulation of Roadway and Traffic Operations Using CORSIM, 1999 ASCE Florida Annual Meeting, September 17, 1999.
- FDOT FSUTMS Model Calibration Workshop, 1995
- Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) Traffic Signals, Utilities, Environmental, Signing & Pavement Marking, Mid-Florida Technology Institute, 1994
- FDOT Traffic Control Plan Design, Mid-Florida Technology Institute, 1994
- GIS and Transportation, Urban and Regional Information Systems Application, 1992
- Diploma, Computer Applications, Institute of Information Industries, 1981