Costas Tsouris is a chemical engineer with a Diploma of Engineering from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki-Greece, and Masters and Ph.D. degrees from Syracuse University. Since 1992, he has worked in the Chemical Technology, Nuclear Science and Technology, Environmental Sciences, and Energy and Transportation Science Divisions at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). He is currently a Joint Faculty with Georgia Institute of Technology and ORNL.
- Ph. D., Syracuse University, Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, 1992.
- M. Sc. , Syracuse University, Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, 1988.
- Diploma of Engineering , Aristotle University (Greece), Chemical Engineering, 1984.
- Separations and chemical processing: Chemical conversions and separations
- Process intensification, process innovation: Novel reactors, novel processes, separations enhanced by electric and magnetic fields, combined reaction/separation with applications in biofuels production
- Separations for energy applications: electrosorption of ions and electrical double-layer formation in energy storage devices, nuclear fuel reprocessing, liquid extraction, phase separation
- Conventional and biofuel cells: Performance characterization via electrochemical impedance spectroscopy and neutron imaging
- Carbon capture and storage: CO2 capture and storage (CCS), integrated assessment of CCS
- Role of gas hydrates in energy problems: a means for carbon storage in the deep ocean, a source of natural gas, a method for water desalination
- Transport and fate of biological and inorganic particles in the environment: colloidal and surface interaction forces
- R&D100 Award, Mesoporous Carbon Electrodes for Desalination, 2011
- Outstanding Mentor Award, U.S. Department of Energy, 2005, 2007
- Birdwell, J., J. McFarlane, H. Jennings, and C. Tsouris, "Integrated Reactor and Centrifugal Separator and Uses Thereof," Patent # 8,097,219 (2012).
- Phelps, T.J., C. Tsouris, A.V. Palumbo, D.E. Riestenberg, S.D. McCallum, “Method for Excluding Salt and other Soluble Materials from Produced Water,” Patent # 7,569,737 (2009).
- West, O.R., Tsouris, C., and Liang, L., "Method and Apparatus for Efficient Injection of CO2 in Oceans," Patent # 6,598,407 (2003).
- Tsouris C., and J. Dong, "Methods to Control Phase Inversions and Enhance Mass Transfer in Liquid-Liquid Dispersions," Patent # 6,495,617 (2002).
- DePaoli, D.W., M. Z.-C. Hu, and C. Tsouris, "Method for the Production of Ultrafine Particles by Electrohydrodynamic Micromixing," Patent # 6,265,025 (2001).
- Tsouris C., D.W. DePaoli, and J.T. Shor, "A Method to Electrolytically Produce High-Purity Magnetite Powder," Patent # 6,179,987 (2001).
- DePaoli, D.W., C. Tsouris, and J.Q. Feng, "Method of Electrically Producing Dispersions of Nonconductive Fluids into Conductive Fluids," Patent # 5,762,775 (1998).
- Jung, J. W., J. Jang, J. C. Santamarina, C. Tsouris, T. J. Phelps, and C. J. Rawn, “Gas Production from Hydrate-Bearing Sediments –The Role of Fine Particles” Energy & Fuels, doi: 10.1021/ef101651b, 26, 480–487 (2012).
- Lee, I., H. Kweon, E. Chung, S. Yiacoumi, and C. Tsouris, “Scanning Surface Potential Microscopy of Spore Adhesion on Surfaces,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2011.11.052, 92, 271– 276 (2012).
- Aaron, D.S., A.P. Borole, S. Yiacoumi, and C. Tsouris, “Effects of Operating Conditions on Internal Resistances in Enzyme Fuel Cells Studied via Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy,” Journal of Power Sources, doi: 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2011.10.105, 201, 59-65 (2012).
- Kweon, H., S. Yiacoumi, C. Tsouris, “Friction and Adhesion Forces of Bacillus thuringiensis Spores on Planar Surfaces in Atmospheric Systems,” Langmuir, doi: 10.1021/la203575q, 27 (24), 14975-14981 (2011).
- Tsouris, C., R.T. Mayes, J.O. Kiggans, K. Sharma, S. Yiacoumi, D.W. DePaoli, and S. Dai, “Mesoporous Carbon for Capacitive Deionization of Saline Water,” Environmental Science & Technology, doi: 10.1021/es201551e, 45 (23), 10243–10249 (2011).
- Kwon, S., M. Fan, H.F.M. DaCosta, A.G. Russell, and C. Tsouris, “Reaction Kinetics of CO2 Carbonation with Mg-Rich Minerals,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 115, 7638-7644 (2011).
- Fragaszy, R.J., Santamarina, J.C., Amekudzi, A., Assimaki, D., Bachus, R., Burns, S.E., Cha, M., Cho, G.C., Cortes,D.D., Dai, S., Espinoza, D.N., Garrow, L., Huang, H., Jang, J., Jung, J.W., Kim, S., Kurtis, K., Lee, C., Pasten,C., Phadnis, H., Rix, G., Shin, H.S., Torres, M.C., and Tsouris, C., “Sustainable Development and Energy Geotechnology - Potential Roles for Geotechnical Engineering,” KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 15, 611-621 (2011).
- Aaron, D.S., A.P. Borole, D.S. Hussey, D.L. Jacobson, S. Yiacoumi, and C. Tsouris, “Quantifying the Water Content in the Cathode of Enzyme Fuel Cells via Neutron Imaging,” Journal of Power Sources, 196, 1769-1775 (2011).
- Mayes, R.T., C. Tsouris, J.O. Kiggans, S.M. Mahurin, D.W. DePaoli, and S. Dai, “Hierarchical Ordered Mesoporous Carbon from Phloroglucinol-Glyoxal and its Application in Capacitive Deionization of Brackish Water,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, 20, 8674-8678 (2010).
- Tsouris, C., and D.S. Aaron, “Do We Really Need Carbon Capture and Storage?” Chemistry World, 7, 9, 40 (2010).
- Walker, M.E., J. McFarlane, D.C. Glasgow, E. Chung, P. Taboada-Serrano, S. Yiacoumi, and C. Tsouris, “Influence of Radioactivity on Surface Interaction Forces,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 350, 595-598 (2010).
- Chung, E., S. Yiacoumi, I. Lee, and C. Tsouris, “The Role of the Electrostatic Force in Spore Adhesion,” Environmental Science & Technology, 44, 6209-6214, doi: 10.1021/es101730y (2010).
- Wang, X., J.S. Lee, C. Tsouris, D.W. DePaoli, and S. Dai, “Preparation of Activated Mesoporous Carbons for Electrosorption of Ions from Aqueous Solutions,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, 20, 4602-4608; doi: 10.1039/b925957k (2010).
- Tsouris, C., D.S. Aaron, and K.A. Williams, “Is Carbon Capture and Storage Really Needed?” Environmental Science & Technology, 44, 4042-4045 (2010).
- Lucia, A., J. Lee, and C. Tsouris, “Advances in Gas Hydrate Thermodynamic and Transport Properties,” Journal of Thermodynamics, Article ID 523503, doi:10.1155/2010/523503, (2010).
- Gabitto, J., and C. Tsouris, “Physical Properties of Gas Hydrates: A Review,” Journal of Thermodynamics, Article ID 271291, doi:10.1155/2010/271291, (2010).
- McFarlane, J., C. Tsouris, J.F. Birdwell Jr., D.L. Schuh, H.L. Jennings, A.M. Palmer Boitrago, S.M. Terpstra, “Production of Biodiesel at the Kinetic Limit in a Centrifugal Reactor/Separator,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 49, 3160–3169 (2010).
- Borole, A., D.S. Aaron, C.Y. Hamilton, and C. Tsouris, “Understanding Long-Term Changes in Microbial Fuel Cell Performance Using Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy,” Environmental Science & Technology, 44, 2740–2745 (2010).
- Aaron, D., C. Tsouris, C.Y. Hamilton, and A.P. Borole, “Assessment of the Effects of Flow Rate and Ionic Strength on Microbial Fuel Cell Performance Using Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy,” Energies, 3(4), 592-606; doi:10.3390/en3040592 (2010).
- Chung, E., H. Kweon, S. Yiacoumi, I. Lee, D.C. Joy, A.V. Palumbo, and C. Tsouris, “Adhesion of Spores of Bacillus thuringiensis on a Planar Surface,” Environmental Science & Technology, 44, 290-296 (2010).
- “Toward Energy Sustainability,” Plenary Presentation, Annual AIChE Meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah, November, 2010.
- “Chemical Engineering R&D Activities at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL),” Department of Chemical Engineering, Tennessee Technological University, April, 2010.
- “Is Carbon Capture and Storage Really Needed?” Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Institute of Technology, November 24, 2009.
- “Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS),” Geotechnical Engineering, Sustainability, and Global Climate Change Workshop, Georgia Institute of Technology, October 30, 2009.
- “Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS): An Overview,” Plenary Talk, 16th Symposium on Separation Science and Technology for Energy Applications, Gatlinburg, TN, October 18-22, 2009.
- “Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS): An Overview,” School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, September 30, 2009.
- “Spore Adhesion on Environmental Surfaces,” Dynamics and Chemistry of Surfaces and Interfaces Basic Research Workshop, Savannah, Georgia, June 23-25, 2009.
- “Continuous-Flow Reactor for Gas Hydrates Production: CO2 Sequestration,” School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, May, 2009.
- “Electrosorption, Ozonation, Couette Separators, Magnetic-Seed Filtration, Microbial Fuel Cells –What do these have to do with treating Coalbed Methane Produced Water?” Campbell Applied Physics Meeting, El Dorado Hills, California, May, 2009.