The School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, Georgia is seeking qualified candidates for a full- or part-time non-tenure-track Professor of the Practice position in Structural Engineering, Mechanics, and Materials. Applicants for this position shall have extensive background in structural engineering practice and in the design of civil engineering constructed facilities. Specific areas of undergraduate and graduate instruction served by this position include:
- Integrated capstone design
- Conventional and prestressed reinforced concrete design
- Timber and masonry design
- Seismic analysis and design
The successful candidate will leverage their expertise, in conjunction with the expertise of the SEMM faculty and their professional network, such as recruiting technical experts for guest lectures and seminars, to advance the teaching of creativity and innovation in structural design within our curriculum. In addition to teaching, the successful candidate will participate in the development and operation of new outreach and engagement activities between faculty, students and industry.
The School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Georgia Tech currently has 650+ undergraduate students, 400+ graduate students, 49 tenure-track faculty, three Professors of the Practice, and one Lecturer.
Qualifications (preferred, not required):
- Terminal degree (PhD or equivalent) in Civil Engineering or a closely related field;
- Applicable professional licensure.
- Experience and leadership on major structural design projects;
- Active participation in professional organizations such as ASCE, ACI, AISC, AASHTO, etc;
- Experience developing partnerships with business and industry leaders in the public and private sectors.
Application screening begins on May 15, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled. Early submissions are encouraged.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, one-page statement of teaching experience and interests, and names/contact information of four references in a single PDF file to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please format the file name as
and include “CEE-SEMM PoP Search” in the subject line of the e-mail.
Georgia Institute of Technology is an AA/EOE, and applications from women and under-represented minorities are encouraged.