- University of California, San Diego, Ph.D., 2010
- University of California, San Diego, M.S., 2006
- University of California, San Diego, B.S., 2004
Dr. Lauren K. Stewart, a renowned expert in blast research, comes to CEE from the University of California, San Diego (UCSD). Stewart earned her bachelor’s and doctoral degrees in structural engineering from the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) where she was a postdoctoral scholar and lecturer. She is also a National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellow and holds a P.E. license.
Stewart has been involved with many blast and earthquake experimental projects, including blast testing of steel structural columns, steel stud wall systems, and high performance concrete panels using the UCSD blast simulator. She has also conducted advanced finite element analysis for the World Trade Center 7, AFRL Munitions Directorate small munitions program and programs supported by the Technical Support Working Group. She is considered by many to be among the top blast researchers in the US, and has served as a senior blast engineering consultant to a number of organizations since 2007.
- Blast Engineering
- Mechanical Shock & Impact
- Hazards Engineering
- Computational Mechanics
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellow
- L.K. Stewart, A. Freidenberg, T. Rodriguez-Nikl, M. Oesterle, J. Wolfson, B. Durant, K. Arnett, R. Asaro, G.A. Hegemier. Methodology and Validation for Blast and Shock Loading using Hydraulic Blast Simulator. Journal of Engineering Structures, 2014; Volume 70: pp 168-180.
- A. Friedenberg, A. Aviram, D. Whisler, H. Kim, L. K. Stewart, G.A. Hegemier. Demonstration of Tailored Impact to Achieve Blast-Like Loading. International Journal of Impact Engineering, 2014; Volume 71: pp 97-105.
- L.K. Stewart, B. Durant, J. Wolfson, G.A. Hegemier. Experimentally Generated High-g Shock Loads using Hydraulic Blast Simulator. International Journal of Impact Engineering, Volume 69: pp 86-94.
- L.K. Stewart. Computational Modeling of Steel Columns Subjected to Experimentally Simulated Blasts. International Journal of Computational Methods and Experimental Measurements. (Accepted, Oct. 2013)
- L.K. Stewart, K.B. Morrill, G.A. Hegemier. Residual Capacity Prediction of Steel Columns using Physics-Based Fast Running Models. International Journal of Safety and Security. (Submitted, Sept. 2013)
- L.K. Stewart, A. Freidenberg, G.A. Hegemier. Design and Testing of Steel Stud Wall Systems for Blast Mitigation. Structures Under Shock and Impact 2014. (Accepted Feb. 2014)
- A. Freidenberg, L.K. Stewart, G.A. Hegemier. Advancements in Blast Simulator Analysis. Proceedings of 84th Annual Shock and Vibrations Symposium, 2013.
- L.K. Stewart. Experimental and Computational Methods for Steel Columns Subjected to Blast Loads. Structures Under Shock and Impact, WIT Transactions on The Built Environment, Volume 126.
- L.K. Stewart, K.B. Morrill, K. Natesaiyer. Development of High Performance Concrete Panels for Curtain Wall Systems. ASCE Structures 2012 Congress Proceedings. Chicago, IL. March 2012. 333-344.
- L.K. Stewart, G.A. Hegemier, K.B. Morrill. Simulated Blast Testing of Structural Steel Columns. Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Shock and Impact Loads on Structures. Volume 157. December 2010.
- L.K. Stewart, G.A. Hegemier, C.T. Latham, B.D. Durant, K. Arnett.“Final Report: Structural Test of Service Chase Slab.” Task IX-21 for Los Alamos National Laboratories. February 2013.
- M.M. Sabado, G.A. Hegemier, L.K. Stewart. “High Yield Accelerator Test (HYAT) Final Report.” SAIC with UCSD Concurrance. IDIQ Contract FA8651-11D-0056, Task Order 4, CLIN 0003 for US Air Force, Eglin AFB. March 2012.
- F. Seible, G.A. Hegemier, L.K. Stewart. “Explosive Loading Laboratory Testing for Blast Mitigation: Wall Panel Test Report.” Contract N41756-09-C-4588, CDRL A005or Technical Support Working Group (TSWG). October 2011.
- G.A. Hegemier, L.K. Stewart, P.N. Huson. “Blast Simulator Testing of Kwik-Build Wall System.” Service Agreement SSRE010 for Protective Technologies Group. August 2011.
- G.A. Hegemier, L.K. Stewart, P.N. Huson. “Blast Simulator Testing of Sure-Board Series 200B Wall System.” Service Agreement SSRE009 for Protective Technologies Group. May 2011.