- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of California at Berkeley, April 2004
- Certificate in Logistics, University of California at Berkeley, December 2002
- M.S., Transportation Engineering , University of California at Berkeley, May 2001
- Universidad Católica de Chile - Santiago, Chile-Certificate in Urban Economics, December 1998
- Universidad Católica de Chile - Santiago, Chile-Ingeniero Civil Industrial, Mención Transporte, July 1995
Dr. Laval is an Associate Professor at the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology.
Dr. Laval obtained his B.S. in Civil and Industrial Engineering from Uiversidad Catolica de Chile (1995), his M.S. in Civil Engineering from the University of California at Berkeley (2001), and his Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from the University of California at Berkeley (2004).
Prior to joining Georgia Tech doctor Laval held two consecutive Postdoc positions at the Institute of Transportation Studies at UC Berkeley, and at the French National Institute for Safety and Transportation Research (INRETS). After obtaining his B.S. he worked as a transportation engineer for five years at the Chilean Ministry of Public Works, where he conducted numerous traffic and revenue studies for urban and inter-urban road concessions. Dr. Laval serves on the editorial board Transportation Research Part B.
- Trafficflow theory
- Numerical solution methods and simulation of traffic flow models
- Queueing theory in transportation and dynamic congestion pricing
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) program award (2011)
- University of California Regents Fellowship, Berkeley (2000)
- SISS Grant, Berkeley (2001, 2002, 2003)
- Laval, J, Toth, C and Zhou, Y. A parsimonious model for the formation of oscillations in car-following models. Forthcoming Transportation Research Part B 70, 228-238, 2015.
- Rafael Delpiano, Jorge Laval, Juan Enrique Coeymans, Juan Carlos Herrera: The kinematic wave model with finite decelerations: A social force car-following model approximation. Transportation Research Part B 71, 182-193, 2015.
- Laval, J. A., Cho, H, Munoz J and Yin, Y. Real-Time Congestion Pricing Strategies for Toll Facilities. Transportation Research Part B 70, 19-31, 2015.
- Chilukuri, B. R., Laval, J. A, Guin, A.: Microsimulation-Based Framework for Freeway Travel-Time Forecasting. Transportation Research Record (Accepted), 2014
- Evangelos Palinginis, Man-Woo Park, Keitaro Kamiya, Jorge Laval, Ioannis Brilakis, Randall Guensler. Full-Body Occlusion Handling and Density Analysis in Traffic Video-Surveillance Systems. Transportation Research Record (Accepted), 2014
- Mallick, M., Rubin, S. and Laval, J.A. N-body Filtering for Road Tracking using a Car Following Model. In Proceedings: 14th International Conference on Information Fusion. Chicago, IL, July 2011.
- Laval, JA. The effect of signal timing and network irregularities in the macroscopic fundamental diagram. Proceedings of the summer meeting of the TFTC TRB committee. Jul, 2010.
- Laval, J.A. Hysteresis in the fundamental diagram: impact of measurement methods. In Proceedings: International Workshop on Traffic data Collection & its Standardization. Barcelona, Spain, September 2008.
- Leclercq, L. and Laval, J.A. A multiclass car-following rule based on the LWR model. In Traffic and Granular Flow '07 Part I, pages 151-160. Springer, 2009.
- Laval, J.A. Linking synchronized flow and kinematic wave theory. In T. Schadschneider, A.and Poschel, R. Kuhne, M. Schreckenberg, and D. Wolf, editors, Traffic and Granular Flow '05, pages 521-526. Springer, 2005.
- Laval, J, Castrillon, F. Stochastic Approximations for the Macroscopic Fundamental Diagram of Urban Networks. Transportation Research Board (TRB) 94th Annual Meeting, 2015.
- Chilukuri, Bhargava Rama Laval, Jorge A Guin, Angshuman. Optimal Ramp Metering with GA based Parameter Optimization, Transportation Research Board (TRB) 94th Annual Meeting, 2015.
- Laval, J, Castrillon, F. Stochastic Approximations for the Macroscopic Fundamental Diagram of Urban Networks. INFORMS Annual Meeting, San Francisco, 2014.
- Chilukuri, Bhargava Rama Laval, Jorge A Guin, Angshuman Micro-Simulation Based Framework for Freeway Travel-Time Forecasting. Transportation Research Board (TRB) 93rd Annual Meeting, 2014.
- Laval, Jorge Andres Toth, Christopher Stephen A single-parameter model for the formation of oscillations in car-following models. Transportation Research Board (TRB) 93rd Annual Meeting, 2014.