- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, Stanford University, 2001 - 2007.
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Stanford University, 2006 - 2007.
- M.S. in Civil Engineering, Tsinghua University, 1998 - 2001.
- B.E. in Civil Engineering, Tsinghua University, 1993 - 1998.
Dr. Yang Wang is an Associate Professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology. After completing a B.S. and an M.S. degree in Civil Engineering at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China, he received a Ph.D. degree in Civil Engineering at Stanford University in 2007, as well as an M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering. Dr. Wang's research interests include structural health monitoring and damage detection, decentralized structural control, wireless and mobile sensors, and structural dynamics. He has published over 110 journal and conference papers in the topic areas. Dr. Wang received an NSF Early Faculty Career Development (CAREER) Award in 2012 and a Young Investigator Award from the Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) in 2013. Since 2011, he has served as an Associate Editor for the ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers) Journal of Bridge Engineering.
- Structural health monitoring
- Vibration testing
- System identification
- Finite element model updating
- Feedback structural control
- Structural dynamics and earthquake engineering
- 2017 The Achenbach Medal, The 8th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Stanford, CA, USA.
- 2017 Air Force Research Lab Summer Faculty Fellowship Program (SFFP) Award.
- 2014 Winner of Best Student Hardware Paper Competition (as advisor and co-author), ASME 2014 Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures and Intelligent Systems (SMASIS), Newport, RI, USA.
- 2014 Georgia Tech CEE Research Program Development Award
- 2013 AFOSR (Air Force Office of Scientific Research) Young Investigator Award
- 2012 IEEE-IMS (Instrumentation and Measurement Society) Faculty Course Development Award
- 2012 ASNT (American Society for Nondestructive Testing) Faculty Grant
- 2012 NSF (National Science Foundation) Early Faculty Career Development (CAREER) Award
- 2011 Best Student Paper Award (as advisor and co-author), The 8th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Stanford, CA, USA.
- 2011 Most Practical SHM Solution for Civil Infrastructures Award in the SHM-in-Action plenary competition, The 8th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Stanford, CA, USA.
- 2006 Best Student Paper Award, SPIE International Symposium on Smart Structures and Materials and NDE for Health Monitoring and Diagnostics, San Diego, CA, USA.
- 2002 – 2006 Office of Technology Licensing Stanford Graduate Fellowship, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA.
- Cho, C., Yi, X., Li, D., Wang, Y., and Tentzeris, M. M. (2017). "An Eigenvalue Perturbation Solution for the Multi-Physics Simulation of Antenna Strain Sensors," Multiscale and Multiphysics Computational Techniques, IEEE, 2: 49-57.
- Yi, X., Cho, C., Wang, Y., and Tentzeris, M.M. (2016). "Battery-free slotted patch antenna sensor for wireless strain and crack monitoring," Smart Structures and Systems, 18(6): 1217-1231.
- Cho, C., Yi, X., Li, D., Wang, Y., and Tentzeris, M.M. (2016). "Passive wireless frequency doubling antenna sensor for strain and crack sensing," IEEE Sensors, 16(14): 5725-5733.
- Chen, S., Dong, X., Kim, J.-Y., Wu, S., and Wang, Y. (2016) "Design and performance validation of a compact wireless ultrasonic device for localized damage detection." Advances in Structural Engineering, 19(2): 270-282.
- Zhu, D., Dong, X., and Wang, Y. (2016) "Substructure stiffness and mass updating through minimization of modal dynamic residuals." Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 142(5): 04016013
- Myung, H., Jeon, H., Y.-S. Bang, and Wang, Y. (2014). "Robotic sensing for assessing and monitoring civil infrastructures," Sensor Technologies for Civil Infrastructures, Volume 1: Sensing Hardware and Data Collection Methods for Performance Assessment (Ed. Wang, M.L., Lynch, J.P., and Sohn, H.), Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, U.K.
- Law, K.H., Smarsly, K., and Wang, Y. (2014). "Sensor data management technologies for infrastructure asset management," Sensor Technologies for Civil Infrastructures, Volume 2: Applications in Structural Health Monitoring (Ed. Wang, M.L., Lynch, J.P., and Sohn, H.), Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, U.K.
- Wang, Y. and Law, K.H. (2011). "Wireless sensor networks in smart structural technologies," Recent Advances in Wireless Communications and Networks (Ed. Lin, J.-C.), InTech, Rijeka, Croatia.
- Wang, Y., Lynch, J.P. and Law, K.H. (2006). "Wireless sensing, actuation and control -- with applications to civil structures," Intelligent Computing in Engineering and Architecture (Ed. Smith, I.F.C.), Springer, Berlin, Germany.
- Dong, X., and Wang, Y. (2016). "A comparative study of frequency-domain finite element updating approaches using different optimization procedures." Proceeding of the 8th European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring (EWSHM), Bilbao, Spain, July 5-8, 2016.
- Dong, X., Liu, X., Wright, T., Wang, Y., and DesRoches, R. (2016). "Validation of wireless sensing technology densely instrumented on a full-scale concrete frame structure." Proceedings of International Conference on Smart Infrastructure and Construction (ICSIC), Cambridge. United Kingdom, June 27-29, 2016.
- Liu, X., Dong, X., and Wang, Y. (2016). "Field testing of Martlet wireless sensing system on an in-service pre-stressed concrete highway bridge." Proceedings of SPIE, Health Monitoring of Structural and Biological Systems, 9805, Las Vegas, NV, USA, March 20-24, 2016.
- Hong, Y., Liu, X., Dong, X., Wang, Y., and Pu, Q. (2016). "Experimental model updating using frequency response functions." Proceedings of SPIE, Sensors and Smart Structures Technologies for Civil, Mechanical, and Aerospace Systems, 9803, Las Vegas, NV, USA, March 20-24, 2016.
- Phanish, D., Garver, P., Matalkah, G., Landes, T., Shen, F., Dumond, J., Abler, R., Zhu, D., Dong, X., and Wang, Y. (2015). "A wireless sensor network for monitoring the structural health of a football stadium." Proceedings of IEEE 2nd World Forum on Internet of Things (WF-IoT), 471-477, Reston, VA, USA, December 14-16, 2015.
- "Structural system identification and decentralized control: a non-convex optimization perspective," School of Civil Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University, Beijing, China, December 2016.
- "Structural System Identification and Decentralized Control: A Non-Convex Optimization Perspective," Structures and Dynamics Group, University of Exeter, Exeter, U.K., June 2016.
- "Decentralized structural monitoring and control," 4th International Summer School on Smart Materials & Structure, Trento, Italy, July 2015.
- "Wireless sensor networks and autonomous mobile sensing," 4th International Summer School on Smart Materials & Structure, Trento, Italy, July 2015.
- "Development and Validation of Martlet - a Next-Generation Wireless Sensing Platform," The Cambridge Conference on Wireless Sensor Network for Civil Engineering and Infrastructure Monitoring, Cambridge, U.K., June 2015.
- US 14/459,219, Frequency Doubling Antenna Sensor for Wireless Strain and Crack Sensing