- Ph. D., Syracuse University, Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, 1992.
- M. Sc. , Syracuse University, Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, 1988.
- Diploma of Engineering , Aristotle University (Greece), Chemical Engineering, 1984.
Costas Tsouris is a chemical engineer with a Diploma of Engineering from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki-Greece, and Masters and Ph.D. degrees from Syracuse University. Since 1992, he has worked in the Chemical Technology, Nuclear Science and Technology, Environmental Sciences, and Energy and Transportation Science Divisions at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). He is currently a Joint Faculty with Georgia Institute of Technology and ORNL.
- Separations and chemical processing: Chemical conversions and separations
- Process intensification, process innovation: Novel reactors, novel processes, separations enhanced by electric and magnetic fields, combined reaction/separation with applications in biofuels production
- Separations for energy applications: electrosorption of ions and electrical double-layer formation in energy storage devices, nuclear fuel reprocessing, liquid extraction, phase separation
- Conventional and biofuel cells: Performance characterization via electrochemical impedance spectroscopy and neutron imaging
- Carbon capture and storage: CO2 capture and storage (CCS), integrated assessment of CCS
- Role of gas hydrates in energy problems: a means for carbon storage in the deep ocean, a source of natural gas, a method for water desalination
- Transport and fate of biological and inorganic particles in the environment: colloidal and surface interaction forces
- R&D100 Award, Mesoporous Carbon Electrodes for Desalination, 2011
- Outstanding Mentor Award, U.S. Department of Energy, 2005, 2007
- Jung, J. W., J. Jang, J. C. Santamarina, C. Tsouris, T. J. Phelps, and C. J. Rawn, “Gas Production from Hydrate-Bearing Sediments –The Role of Fine Particles” Energy & Fuels, doi: 10.1021/ef101651b, 26, 480–487 (2012).
- Lee, I., H. Kweon, E. Chung, S. Yiacoumi, and C. Tsouris, “Scanning Surface Potential Microscopy of Spore Adhesion on Surfaces,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2011.11.052, 92, 271– 276 (2012).
- Aaron, D.S., A.P. Borole, S. Yiacoumi, and C. Tsouris, “Effects of Operating Conditions on Internal Resistances in Enzyme Fuel Cells Studied via Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy,” Journal of Power Sources, doi: 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2011.10.105, 201, 59-65 (2012).
- Kweon, H., S. Yiacoumi, C. Tsouris, “Friction and Adhesion Forces of Bacillus thuringiensis Spores on Planar Surfaces in Atmospheric Systems,” Langmuir, doi: 10.1021/la203575q, 27 (24), 14975-14981 (2011).
- Tsouris, C., R.T. Mayes, J.O. Kiggans, K. Sharma, S. Yiacoumi, D.W. DePaoli, and S. Dai, “Mesoporous Carbon for Capacitive Deionization of Saline Water,” Environmental Science & Technology, doi: 10.1021/es201551e, 45 (23), 10243–10249 (2011).
- “Toward Energy Sustainability,” Plenary Presentation, Annual AIChE Meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah, November, 2010.
- “Chemical Engineering R&D Activities at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL),” Department of Chemical Engineering, Tennessee Technological University, April, 2010.
- “Is Carbon Capture and Storage Really Needed?” Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Institute of Technology, November 24, 2009.
- “Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS),” Geotechnical Engineering, Sustainability, and Global Climate Change Workshop, Georgia Institute of Technology, October 30, 2009.
- “Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS): An Overview,” Plenary Talk, 16th Symposium on Separation Science and Technology for Energy Applications, Gatlinburg, TN, October 18-22, 2009.
- Birdwell, J., J. McFarlane, H. Jennings, and C. Tsouris, "Integrated Reactor and Centrifugal Separator and Uses Thereof," Patent # 8,097,219 (2012).
- Phelps, T.J., C. Tsouris, A.V. Palumbo, D.E. Riestenberg, S.D. McCallum, “Method for Excluding Salt and other Soluble Materials from Produced Water,” Patent # 7,569,737 (2009).
- West, O.R., Tsouris, C., and Liang, L., "Method and Apparatus for Efficient Injection of CO2 in Oceans," Patent # 6,598,407 (2003).
- Tsouris C., and J. Dong, "Methods to Control Phase Inversions and Enhance Mass Transfer in Liquid-Liquid Dispersions," Patent # 6,495,617 (2002).
- DePaoli, D.W., M. Z.-C. Hu, and C. Tsouris, "Method for the Production of Ultrafine Particles by Electrohydrodynamic Micromixing," Patent # 6,265,025 (2001).