- Ph.D., Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Vermont, Vermont, USA 2004
- Laurea, Civil Engineering (magna cum laude), University Mediterranea, Italy 1998
Dr. Francesco Fedele is an Associate Professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering and in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Georgia Tech. He received his Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from the University of Vermont in 2004 and earned his Laurea (magna cum laude) in Civil Engineering from the University Mediterranea, Italy, in 1998. Dr. Fedele joined the faculty at Georgia Tech in 2007 after a postdoctoral research position at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. His current research focus is on nonlinear wave phenomena, coastal and ocean engineering, fluid mechanics, wave mechanics, sustainable ocean energy, signal processing and computer vision, computational methods and inverse problems. The corresponding research thrusts are: wave turbulence, rogue waves, stereo imaging for geophysical applications, algorithms for biomedical and radar imaging, mathematical modeling and experimentation on renewable devices to harness energy from tidal streams. Dr. Fedele’s publication record includes 45 scholarly journal papers (h index 12, ISI Web of Science, 15 Scholar Google) and 44 papers in peer-reviewed conference proceedings. While at Georgia Tech, Dr. Fedele’s research appeared in high Impact Factor (IF) journals: Physical Review Letters (IF=7.943), IEEE Transactions on Image Processing (IF=3.199), Journal of Fluid Mechanics (IF=2.453), IEEE Transactions on Geosciences and Remote Sensing (IF=2.995), Journal of Physical Oceanography (IF=2.481), Europhysics Letters (EPL, IF=2.171) Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America (IF=2.027), Physics of Fluids (IP=1.998), Coastal Engineering (IF=2.076), Physica D (IP=1.857), Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics JETP (IF=1.577), EGU journal Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences (IF=1.792), and Ocean Modeling (IF=2.461).
- Fluid Mechanics
- Wave Mechanics
- Probability and Statistics
- Computational Methods
- Inverse Problems
- Scholarship for participation to the workshop: “Analysis of Fluid Stability” International Centre for Mathematical Sciences 25 June, 3 July 2009, Edinburgh UK, (sponsored by The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) of UK)
- Young researcher scholarship for participation to the international conference : “Euler Equations : 250 years on” Aussois, France June 18-23, 2007, an event that celebrated the tercentenary of the birth of Leonhard Euler, and also the 250th anniversary of the publication of his Principes Généraux du Mouvement des Fluides (General Principles of the Motion of Fluids).
- Scholarship for participation to the workshop: “Non-equilibrium statistical mechanics and turbulence” University of Warwick England July 15-21, 2006, ( sponsored by The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) of UK )
- Scholarship for participation to an Isaac Newton Institute Workshop: “First-Passage and Extreme Value Problems in Random Processes” 26 June - 30 June 2006, ( Supported by the European Commission, Sixth Framework Programme - Marie Curie Conferences and Training Courses )
- Scholarship for participation to Séminaire Européen de Statistique, December 12-18, 2004, (Statistics of Spatio-Temporal Systems) Castle Höhenried, Bernried, near Munich, Germany (European Mathematical Society Summer School)
- Scholarship Erasmus for international studies abroad ($10,000) January/December 1999
- Class of 1934 Course Survey Teaching Effectiveness Award, 2012. Georgia Institute of Technology, Center for Enhancement of Teaching and Learning. (In recognition for excellence in teaching)
- Thank a Teacher certificate, 2013. Georgia Institute of Technology, Center for Enhancement of Teaching and Learning. (In recognition for excellence in teaching and positive impact on students)
- Thank a Teacher certificate, 2012. Georgia Institute of Technology, Center for Enhancement of Teaching and Learning. (In recognition for excellence in teaching and positive impact on students)
- OMAE 2011 SSR Best Paper Award at the 30th ASME International Conference, Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- Fedele F., Chandre C. and M. Farazmand 2016 Kinematics of fluid particles on the sea surface: Hamiltonian theory, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 801:260-288
- Fedele F., Brennan J., Ponce de Leon S., Dudley J. and F. Dias 2016 Real world ocean rogue wave explained without the modulation instability, Scientific Reports- NATURE 6, 27715
- Fedele F., 2016 Are rogue waves really unexpected? Journal of Physical Oceanography 46:1495-1508
- Fedele F., 2015 On the kurtosis of ocean waves in deep water, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 782: 25–36.
- Fedele F., O. Abessi and P. J. Roberts 2015 Symmetry reduction of turbulent pipe flows, Journal of Fluid Mechanics,779:390-410 .
- Shih P.C., Gallego G, Yezzi A., Fedele F., 2014 Joint 4-D variational stereo reconstruction and camera calibration refinement for oceanic sea state measurements 3th ASME Int. Conf. Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engng, San Francisco, USA, OMAE2014-23653
- Xiao N., Fedele F., Muhanna R.L. 2013 Inverse problems under uncertainties – an interval solution for the beam finite element, ICOSSAR 2013 11th International Conference on Structural Safety & Reliability, June 16-2, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA (paper MS-IAU07)
- Xiao N., Muhanna R.L., Mullen R.L., Fedele F., 2013 Interval finite elements for uncertainty in frame structures, ICOSSAR 2013 11th International Conference on Structural Safety & Reliability, June 16-2, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA (paper MS-IAU08)
- Shih P.C., Gallego G, Yezzi A., Fedele F., 2013 Improving 3-D variational stereo reconstruction of oceanic sea states by camera calibration refinement 32th ASME Int. Conf. Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engng, Nantes, France OMAE2013-10550
- Gallego G, Yezzi A., Fedele F., Benetazzo B. 2013 Variational Stereo Methods for space-time measurements of ocean waves 32th ASME Int. Conf. Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engng, Nantes, France OMAE2013-10550
- Fedele F. 2015 Hopf fibrations of turbulent pipe flows The nineth IMACS International Conference on Nonlinear Evolution Equations and Wave Phenomena: Computation and Theory, Athens Georgia USA (abstract)
- Fedele F. 2014 “Ocean crest slowdown and geometric phases”, 67th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics, Nov. 23–25, 2014; San Francisco, USA
- Fedele F. 2014 “Fiber bundles and geometric phases of turbulent pipe flows”, 67th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics, Nov. 23–25, 2014; San Francisco, USA
- Fedele F. 2014 “Continuous symmetries and fiber bundles in pipe flows”, Euromech Colloquium EC565 on SUBCRITICAL TRANSITION TO TURBULENCE May 6-9, Cargese, Corsica, France
- Gallego F., Shih PC, Benetazzo A., Yezzi A., and Fedele F. 2014 Space-time properties of wind-waves: a new look at directional wave distributions, EGU2014-13508 European Geosciences Union (EGU) General Assembly, Vienna, Austria, April 27- May 02.