- 2006-2009: Ph.D. studies in the geotechnical group of Navier Laboratory (CERMES), at École Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées (ENPC, France). Ph.D. Advisor: Professor B. Gatmiri.
- 2005-2006: Master of Science in Soil and Rock Mechanics and Environmental Geomechanics, from École Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées (ENPC), Ecole Centrale Paris and Paris VI University (P. & M. Curie University).
- 2002-2006: Civil Engineering degree from École Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées (ENPC), leading Engineering school in Europe.
- Spring 2003: Three-month research training internship at the Lehrstuhl für Baustatik und Baudynamik in the Rheinish Westfälischen Technischen Hochschule Aachen (LBB, RWTH, Aachen, Germany).
- 2002-2003: Second-year academic degree of philosophy, Paris I University (Diplôme d’Études Universitaires Générales).
Dr. Arson’s expertise is damage and healing rock mechanics, micro-macro modeling of porous media, and computational geomechanics. Arson’s group develops numerical tools to assess the performance and environmental impacts of underground storage and rock fracturing, explain the formation of soil by rock weathering, and design sustainable bio-inspired geotechnical systems.
- Poromechanics: damage and healing in rock, homogenization theory applied to reactive porous materials, thermo-hydro-chemo-mechanical couplings in porous media, multi-scale fracture propagation
- Computational mechanics: material-point level algorithms for constitutive model validation and calibration (MATLAB/Octave); Finite Element Method - FEM (ABAQUS, OOFEM); Cohesive Zone Models (ABAQUS); Extended FEM - XFEM (ABAQUS, OOFEM); Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics - SPH (ABAQUS, ANSYS); Discrete Element Method - DEM (PFC3D); Molecular Dynamics - MD (MAPS); Machine Learning - ML (classification, regression, basic neural networks)
- Geomechanical modeling: deep geological storage (nuclear waste disposals, carbon dioxide sequestration, high-pressure gas storage), hydraulic fracturing, scour and erosion, ballast particle crushing
- Bio-mechanics and bio-inspiration inspiration: micro-macro modeling of teeth, network dynamics of slime mold, leaf venations and roots, burrowing mechanics
- Adjunct Courtesy Appointment, School of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech (current)
- Emerging Leaders Program, Georgia Tech Provost Office, 2021-2022
- “Future Leaders Program” Membership, ARMA, 2013
- “Class of 1969” Teaching Fellowship, Georgia Tech, 2013-2014
- ExCEEd Teaching Fellowship, ASCE, 2012 (“Excellence in Civil Engineering Education”).
- ENHANCE Fellowship, NSF, 2012 (“Enhance the Career of Female Faculty in Earthquake Engineering Research”)
- NSF BRITE Award, 2021. The NSF BRITE (Boosting Research Ideas for Transformative and Equitable Advances in Engineering) initiative aims to enable and create opportunities to advance scientific discoveries and new research using a variety of approaches that harness the national talent ecosystem of experienced faculty. Recognizing that a successful faculty research career is neither linear nor continuous, this BRITE solicitation seeks proposals that enable experienced researchers and scholars (tenured or equivalent) to forge new directions or to enter new fields by capitalizing or branching out of their established knowledge domains. Award: $525,070.
- Georgia Tech CEE Inter-disciplinary Research Award, 2017
- NSF CAREER Award, 2016
- Ph.D. Prize, ALERT Geomaterials, 2010 (Alliance of Laboratories in Europe for Research and Technology)
- Ph.D. Special Prize, Ecole Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées, 2010 (ENPC, France)
- T. Xu, C. Arson, 2021. Self-consistent approach for modeling coupled elastic and visco-plastic processes induced by dislocation and pressure solution, International Journal of Solids and Structures (accepted)
- F. Anselmucci, E. Ando, G. Viggiani, N. Lenoir, C. Arson, L. Sibille, 2021. Imaging soil kinematics during the first days of maize root growth in sand, Scientific Reports, DOI: 10.1038/s41598-021-01056-1
- F. Patino-Ramirez, F. Anselmucci, E. Andò, G. Viggiani, B. Caicedo, C. Arson, 2021. Deformation and failure mechanisms of granular soil around pressurised shallow cavities, Géotechnique, DOI: 10.1680/jgeot.21.00136
- A. Martinez, J. DeJong, I. Akin, A. Aleali, C. Arson, J. Atkinson, P. Bandini, T. Baser, R. Borela, R. Boulanger, M. Burrall, Y. Chen, C. Collins, D. Cortes, S. Dai, T. DeJong, E. Del Dottore, K. Dorgan, R. Fragaszy, J.D. Frost, R. Full, M. Ghayoomi, D. Goldman, N. Gravish, I. Guzman, J. Hambleton, E. Hawkes, M. Helms, D. Hu, L. Huang, S. Huang, C. Hunt, D. Irschick, H. Lin, B. Lingwall, A. Marr, B. Mazzolai, B. McInroe, T. Murthy, K. O'Hara, M. Porter, S. Sadek, M. Sanchez, C. Santamarina, L. Shao, J. Sharp, H. Stuart, H.H. Stutz, A. Summers, J. Tao, M. Tolley, L. Treers, K. Turnbull, R. Valdes, L. van Passen, G. Viggiani, D. Wilson, W. Wu, X. Yu, J. Zheng, 2021. Bio-inspired Geotechnical Engineering: Principles, Current Work, Opportunities and Challenges, Géotechnique, DOI: 10.1680/jgeot.20.P.170
- F. Anselmucci, E. Ando, G. Viggiani, N. Lenoir, R. Peyroux, C. Arson, L. Sibille, 2021. The use of X-ray tomography to investigate soil deformation around growing roots, Géotechnique Letters, DOI: 10.1680/jgele.20.00114
- A. Bobet, C. Arson, D. Elsworth, Y. Fang, Z. Feng, Q. Gan, Y. Guglielmi, K. Im, T. Ishibashi, G.l Izadi, A. Modiriasa, P. Nelson, J. Pogacnik, J. Taron, I. Tomac, C. Wang, 2018. Rock Mechanics, in: Geotechnical Fundamentals for Addressing New World Challenges, P. Culligan, A. Whittle and J. Mitchell eds
- C. Arson, E. Berns, G. Akrouch, M. Sanchez, J.-L. Briaud, 2013. Chapter: "Heat Propagation around Geothermal Piles and Implications on Energy Balance", in: Energy Book Series - Volume # 1: “Materials and processes for energy: communicating current research and technological developments”, A. Méndez-Vilas ed., Formatex Research Center, ISBN(13): 978-84-939843-7-3, pp.628-635
- F. Anselmucci, E. Ando, L. Sibille, N. Lenoir, R. Peyroux, C. Arson, G. Viggiani,G. Bengough, 2019. Root-reinforced sand: kinetic response of the soil, IS-Glasgow 2019, 7th International Symposium on Deformation Characteristics of Geomaterials, Glasgow, UK, June 26-28, 2019.
- F. Anselmucci, E. Ando, L. Sibille, N. Lenoir, G. Viggiani, R. Peyroux, C. Arson, G. Bengough, 2018. Quantifying micro-structural changes in sand due to plant root growth, Bio-inspired and Bio-mediated Geotechnics workshop, ISSMGE conference, Atlanta, Sept.13, 2018.
- L.F. Patino-Ramirez, C. Arson, 2018. Numerical analysis of the plastic zone in drained soil around a pressurized cylindrical cavity under biaxial stress, IS Atlanta 2018, ISSMGE conference micro-to-macro geomechanics from theory to practice, Sept. 9-12, 2018.
- X. Shen, C. Arson, J. Ding, F. Chester, J. Chester, 2018. Discrete frictional wing crack based damage model for salt rock, IS Atlanta 2018, ISSMGE conference micro-to-macro-geomechanics from theory to practice, Sept. 9-12, 2018.
- J. Ding, F.M. Chester, J. Chester, X. Shen, C. Arson, 2017. Microcrack Network Development in Salt Rock During Cyclic Loading at Low Confining Pressure. 51st US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium of the American Rock Mechanics Association, San Francisco, CA, June 25-28 2017, Paper 17-0308