- Ph.D.,Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University, 2006.
- M.S., Environmental Engineering,Tsinghua University, 2000.
- B.S., Environmental Engineering, Tsinghua University, 1998.
Dr. Jian Luo completed his undergraduate and M.S. studies at Tsinghua University, Beijing, where he received a B.Sc.(Eng.) and a M.S. degree in Environmental Engineering in 1998 and 2000, respectively. He completed his Ph.D. in 2006 in Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Stanford University, California. The research Dr. Luo is conducting involves field, theoretical, and computational investigations of flow and reactive transport in subsurface; development and application of geostatistical methods for the spatial and temporal analysis of hydrogeologic and biochemistry data; development of computational algorithms and programs to simulate subsurface flow and reactive transport, and to assess the associated uncertainty; inverse modeling to estimate flow and transport parameters under uncertainty; and use of such computational methods and models to assess subsurface contamination, and to aid the optimal design of groundwater remediation operations.
- Modeling of groundwater contamination and remediation
- Reactive transport in porous and fractured media
- Water resources management and policy
- Stochastic hydrogeology
- Linear and nonlinear systems
- Inverse modeling
- "Highly Cited Paper", Web of Science, Thomson Reuters, 2016
- Hesburghs Teaching Fellow, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2013
- Bill Schutz Junior Faculty Teaching Award, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2011
- “Thanks for being a great teacher” certificate for excellence in teaching, The Center for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning (CETL), Georgia Institute of Technology, 2008
- “Hot Paper” Achievement 2008, Thomson Scientific (ISI) Essential Science Indicators, most citations in a two-month period for a paper published within the past two years.
- Most-Cited Article Published in 2006. Thomson Scientific (ISI) Essential Science Indicators, most citations through the period ending December 31, 2007.
- DOE Travel Fellowship, 2003.
- Summa Cum Laude of the Class of 1998, Tsinghua University, 1998.
- Lu, C., Xin, P., Kong, J., Li, L., Luo, J. (2016), Analytical solutions of seawater intrusion in sloping confined and unconfined coastal aquifers, Water Resour. Res., 52, doi:10.1002/2016WR019101.
- Chen, Y., Hou, D., Lu, C., Spain, J.C., Luo, J. (2016), Effects of rate-limited mass transfer on modeling vapor intrusion with aerobic biodegradation, Environ. Sci. Technol., 50, 9400-9406.
- Lu, C., Xin, P., Li, L., Luo, J. (2015), Steady-state analytical solutions for pumping in a fully bounded rectangular aquifer, Water Resour. Res., 51, 8294-8302, doi:10.1002/2015WR017019.
- Wang, T., Chai, L., Zhang, L., Li, C., Song, T., Wang, H., Yang, W., Dai, S., Meng, Y., Luo, J. (2015), Synthesis of new core shell magnetic Fe3O4@poly (m-phenylenediamine) particles for chromium reduction and adsorption, Environ. Sci. Technol., 49, 5654-5662.
- Dai, S., Peng, B., Zhang, L., Chai, L., Wang, T., Meng, Y., Li, X., Wang, H., Luo, J. (2015), Sustainable synthesis of hollow Cu-loaded poly (m-phenylenediamine) partiles and their application for arsenic removal, RSC Adv., 5, 29965.
- Luo, J., Travel-time based reactive transport modeling for in situ subsurface reactor, Delivery and Mixing in the Subsurface: Processes and Design Principles for In-Situ Remediation, DOD SERDP/ESTCP Mixing and Delivery Monograph, (P.K. Kitanidis and P.L. McCarty, eds.), 2012.
- Lu, C., Xin, P., Li, L., Luo, J., Impact of boundary conditions on pumping in a fully bounded aquifer, EOS Trans. AGU, Fall Meet., San Francisco, Dec. 15-19, 2014.
- Lu, C., Chen, Y., Zhang, C., Luo. J., Freshwater-seawater mixing zone in stratified coastal aquifers, 3rd Asia-Pacific Coastal Aquifer Management Meeting, Beijing, China, Oct. 21-24, 2013.
- Wu, W.-M., Mehlhorn, T., Li, B., Chao, Y.-Q., Kelly, S.D., Lowe, K., Phillips, J., Earles, J., Tang, G.P., Luo, J., Zhang, T., Watson, D., Criddle, C.S., Phillips, D.H., Field observation of sequestration of uranium in iron-rich sediments under sequential reduction-oxidation conditions, 113th ASM General Meeting, Denver, CO, May 18-21, 2013.
- Lu C., Werner A.D., Simmons C.T., Luo, J., A well pair for preventing seawater intrusion and enhancing groundwater extraction in coastal aquifers. BITs 1st Annual World Congress of Ocean, Dalian, China, Sep. 20-23, 2012.
- Lu, C., Werner, A.D., Simmons, C.T., Robinson, N.I., Luo, J. (2012), An injection-extraction well pair: a possible strategy to enhance groundwater withdrawal in coastal aquifers, 22th Salt Water Intrusion Meeting, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, June 17-22, 2012.
- Luo, J. (2014), “Simulation of mixing-controlled reactive transport”, 23rd National Association of Remedial Project Managers (NARPM) Training Program, USEPA, Atlanta, June 2014.
- Luo, J. (2012), “Pilot-Scale Field Test of Bioremediation of Uranium-Contaminated Groundwater: Hydraulic Control and Reactive Transport Modeling”, Invited seminar, School of Geography and Environment, Jiangxi Normal University, Nanchang, June 2012.
- Luo, J. (2012), “Pilot-Scale Field Test of Bioremediation of Uranium-Contaminated Groundwater: Hydraulic Control and Reactive Transport Modeling”, Invited seminar, School of Metallurgical Science and Engineering, Central South University, Changsha, June 2012.
- Luo, J. (2012), “Pilot-Scale Field Test of Bioremediation of Uranium-Contaminated Groundwater: Hydraulic Control and Reactive Transport Modeling”, Invited seminar, School of Civil Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, June 2012.
- Luo, J. (2012), “Pilot-Scale Field Test of Bioremediation of Uranium-Contaminated Groundwater: Hydraulic Control and Reactive Transport Modeling”, Invited seminar, School of Environment, Tsinghua University, Beijing, June 2012.