Senior Research EngineerTransportation Systems Engineering
- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2004
- M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1999
- B. Tech, Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, 1998
Transportation Engineer with experience in Freeway Operations, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), Transportation Safety, Traffic Simulation and Data Management. Strong background in Big Data analytics, traffic model development, instrument integration and software tool development. Currently at Georgia Tech he is involved in research on connected vehicles, freeway operations, ramp metering and distributed simulation on several different national as well as state level initiatives including projects from the National Science Foundation, Federal Highway Administration, GDOT and GRTA. Dr. Guin has presented his work in several international conferences and his work has been published in well recognized peer reviewed journals. He also serves on several standing committees of the Transportation Research Board including the committees on Information Systems and Technology, and User Information Systems committee and, in the past, has served on the committees on Highway Traffic Monitoring and Transportation Safety Management. He has served on the review committee of several journals including the IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, the ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering and the Transportation Research Records of the TRB.
- Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Freeway Traffic Operations
- Transportation Safety
- Connected and Autonomous Vehicle
- Smart Cities
- Big Data
- Machine Learning and Deep Learning
- Invited Member of: (a) TRB Transportation Safety Management Committee, member (2004-2013) (b) TRB Highway Traffic Monitoring Committee, member (2009-2013) (c) TRB Information Systems and Technology Committee, member (since 2019) (d) TRB User Information Systems Committee, member (since 2014) (e) TRB Urban Transportation Data and Information Systems, Member of Travel Time, Speed, and Reliability Subcommittee (f) Georgia Section ITE Connected Automated Vehicle Committee (g) Performance Technical Group Committee of the Atlanta Regional Commission
- Transportation Research Board D. Grant Mickle Award (2020)
- Best Paper Award – Transportation Research Board, Operational Effects of Geometrics Committee, AHB65. (2019)
- Mobility Award. City of Atlanta’s North Avenue Smart Corridor Project (Project Co-PI). Smart City Expo World Congress. Barcelona. November 2018. (2018)
- American Society for Engineering Education Southeastern Section Annual Conference, Best Zone Paper from ASEE Zone II, 2009
- 2008 Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Best Researcher Award
- 2004/Milton Pikarsky award for best dissertation in science and technology/Council of University Transportation Centers (CUTC)
- ITE Georgia Section Scholarship Award, 1999
- Woong Cho, H., Chilukuri, B. R., Laval, J. A., Guin, A., Suh, W., & Ko, J. (2020). Genetic algorithm-based simulation optimization of the ALINEA ramp metering system: a case study in Atlanta. Transportation Planning and Technology, 1-13.
- Hunter, M., Guin, A., Anderson, J., & Park, S. J. (2019). Operating performance of diverging diamond interchanges. Transportation research record, 2673(11), 801-812.
- James Anderson, Wonho Suh, Angshuman Guin, Michael Hunter, Michael O. Rodgers, Accounting for composite travel time distributions within a traffic stream in determining Level-of-Service. Journal of Intelligent & Fuzzy Systems, IOS Press, 2019, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 955-965
- Gbologah, F. E., Guin, A., Purcell, R., & Rodgers, M. O. (2019). Benefit-to-cost analysis framework for intersection illumination: a case study of rural conventional intersections in Georgia. Transportation research record, 2673(9), 83-93.
- Gbologah, F. E., Guin, A., & Rodgers, M. O. (2019). Safety evaluation of roundabouts in Georgia. Transportation research record, 2673(7), 641-651.
- Hunter, M., A. Biswas, B. Chilukuri, A. Guin, R. Fujimoto, R. Guensler, J. Laval, H. Liu, S. Neal, P. Pecher, and M.O. Rodgers (2018). “Energy-Aware Dynamic Data-Driven Distributed Traffic Simulation for Energy and Emissions Reduction.” Chapter 20. Handbook of Dynamic Data Driven Application Systems. pp. 467-487. Springer-Cham.
- Henclewood D., Suh W., Guin A., Guensler R., Fujimoto R., Hunter M. (2015) Real-Time Data-Driven Arterial Simulation for Performance Measure Estimation. In: Loper M. (eds) Modeling and Simulation in the Systems Engineering Life Cycle. Simulation Foundations, Methods and Applications. Springer, London
- Elmasri, R., & Navathe, S. (2007). Fundamentals of database systems. Boston: Pearson/Addison Wesley. [Contributor in 4th Edition, 2004]
- Saroj, A., S. Roy, A. Guin, M. Hunter and R. Fujimoto. Smart city real-time data-driven transportation simulation. 2018 Winter Simulation Conference (WSC), IEEE, December 2018.
- Castrillon, F., Guin, A., Guensler, R., and Laval, J. "Imputation of Intelligent Transportation System VDS Data using Various Modeling Approaches", accepted for publication in proceedings of the Annual Conference and Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Washington D.C., January 2012.
- Henclewood, D., Smith, M., Garrow, L., Guin, A., Hunter, M., and Usselman, M. (2009). Building engineering achievement through transportation (BEAT): A traffic engineering program for high school students. In proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Southeastern Section Annual Conference, Marietta, GA, pp. 1-10.
- Guin, A. “Travel Time Prediction using a Seasonal Autoregressive Integrated Moving Average Time Series Model”, Proceedings of the 9th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems - ITSC 2006, September, 2006. Vol 2, p. 493-498.
- Guin, A., Williams, B., and Ni, D. "Assessment of the Current Status of Incident Detection Algorithms - Results of a Nationwide Survey", Proceedings of Summer Computer Simulation Conference, July 25 - 29, 2004.
- “Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Converging Chevron Pavement Markings in Reducing Speed on Freeway Ramps”, presented at the Annual Meeting and Conference of the Transportation Research Board (TRB), Washington, DC, January, 2010.
- “Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Converging Chevron Pavement Markings”, presented as part of communication of the final project presentation to the Georgia Department of Transportation.
- “Building Engineering Achievement Through Transportation (BEAT): A Traffic Engineering Program for High School Students”, selected as the Best Zone Paper from American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Zone II and accepted for presentation at the annual meeting of ASEE, 2010.
- “Analysis of Reduction in Effective Capacities on High-Occupancy-Vehicle Lanes Related to Traffic Behavior”, Presented at the Annual Meeting and Conference of the Transportation Research Board (TRB), Washington, DC, January, 2008.
- “Benefits Analysis for an Incident Management Program Integrated with Intelligent Transportation Systems Operations: A Case Study”, Presented at the Annual Meeting and Conference of the Transportation Research Board (TRB), Washington, DC, January, 2007.
- Guensler, et al., (2003); Onboard Vehicle and Personal Activity Monitoring Software; GTRC Invention Disclosure 3222; Georgia Institute of Technology.