- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, California, 1975.
- M.S., Structural Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, California, 1971.
- B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, 1970.
Barry Goodno is a professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology. He joined the Georgia Tech faculty in 1974. He holds a professional engineering license (PE), is a Distinguished Member of ASCE and an Inaugural Fellow of SEI, and has held numerous leadership positions within ASCE. He is a past president of the ASCE Structural Engineering Institute (SEI) Board of Governors. He is past-chair of the ASCE-SEI Technical Activities Division (TAD) Executive Committee, and past-chair of the ASCE-SEI Awards Committee. In 2002, Dr. Goodno received the SEI Dennis L. Tewksbury Award for outstanding service to ASCE-SEI. He also held several leadership positions within the NSF-funded Mid-America Earthquake Center (MAE), and directed the MAE Memphis Test Bed Project. Dr. Goodno has carried out research, taught graduate courses and published extensively in the areas of earthquake engineering and structural dynamics during his tenure at Georgia Tech.
- Earthquake engineering
- Structural dynamics
- Mechanics of materials
- Hybrid control of structures
- Influence of nonstructural components on building response
- Finite element analysis
- GT CEE Senior Faculty Teaching Award, November 2016
- Distinguished Member of ASCE, April 2015
- GT CEE Leadership in Use of Technology Award, 2013
- Inaugural Fellow of SEI, 2012
- Recipient of 2002 ASCE-SEI Dennis L. Tewksbury Award, for outstanding service to ASCE-SEI, June 2003
- Fellow of ASCE, 1999
- Evans Scholar, Evans Scholar Foundation and Western Golf Association at University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, 1965-1970
- Boeing Aircraft Company Scholarship, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, 1967-68
- University of Wisconsin Graduate Fellowship, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, 1969- 1970
- National Science Foundation Graduate Traineeship, Stanford University, Stanford, California, 1970- 1974
- National Science Foundation Teaching Fellow, Stanford University, Stanford, California, Spring 1972, Winter 1973
- National Science Foundation Research Initiation Grant Recipient, April 1975 Recipient of ASCE's "Award for Outstanding Service" in August 1976, September 1977, September 1979, October 1980, September 1982 and 1983
- Nominee for Outstanding Civil Engineering Faculty Member award, Student Chapter of ASCE, 1975- 1979, 1983
- ASCE Nominee in Joint Society Paper Competition for 1980 Alfred Noble Prize for paper "Glass Curtain Wall Elements: Properties and Behavior"
- Seo, J., Duenas-Osorio, L., Craig, J., and Goodno, B., Metamodel-Based Regional Vulnerability Estimate of Irregular Steel Moment-Frame Structures Subjected to Earthquake Events, Engineering Structures, Volume 45, December 2012, Pages 585–597
- Park, J., Bostrom, A., Goodno, B., and Craig, J., Application of Probabilistic Decision Models for Seismic Rehabilitation of Structures, International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making, Vol. 10, No. 2 (2011), pp. 309–331
- Goodno, B. J., Gould, N. C., Caldwell, P., and Gould, P. L., Effects of the January 2010 Haitian Earthquake on Selected Electrical Equipment, Earthquake Spectra 27, pp. S251-S276 (2011); doi:10.1193/1.3636415
- Park, J., Towashiraporn, P., Craig, J. and Goodno, B., "Seismic Fragility Analysis of Low-Rise Unreinforced Masonry Structures," Engineering Structures (2008), doi:10.1016/j.engstuct.2008.07.021
- Duenas-Osorio, L., J. I. Craig, B. J. Goodno, and A. Bostrom, 2007. "Interdependent response of networked systems." ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 185-194. (winner of 2005 Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) paper award)
- Statics and Mechanics of Materials, 1st Edition, B. Goodno & J. Gere, 2019, CENGAGE Learning, ISBN- 978-1133364405 [1194 pp]
- Statics and Mechanics of Materials, 1st SI Edition, B. Goodno & J. Gere, 2019, CENGAGE Learning, ISBN- [pp]
- Mechanics of Materials, 9th Edition, B. Goodno & J. Gere, 2018, CENGAGE Learning, ISBN- 978-1-337-09334-7 [1159 pp]
- Mechanics of Materials, 9th SI Edition, B. Goodno & J. Gere, 2018, CENGAGE Learning, ISBN-978-1-337-09335-4 [1157 pp]
- Mechanics of Materials, 8th Edition, J. Gere & B. Goodno, 2013, CENGAGE Learning, ISBN-13: 978-1111577735 [1130 pp]
- Lim, E., B. J. Goodno, and J. I. Craig (2016) “Incorporation of Elastic Local Buckling in a Plain Channel Section Beam Subjected to Double-curvature Bending: An Effective-width Approach.” Proceedings of the Wei-Wen Yu International Specialty Conference on Cold-Formed Steel Structures 2016, Baltimore, Maryland, November 9 – 10, 2016. Ed. R. A. LaBoube, W. W. Yu. Rolla, Missouri: Department of Civil, Architectural, and Environmental Engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology, pp 251-266.
- Lim, E., B. J. Goodno, and J. I. Craig (2016) “Development of a Method to Generate a Simplified Finite Element Model for an Electrical Switchboard Cabinet.” Proceedings of the Wei-Wen Yu International Specialty Conference on Cold-Formed Steel Structures 2016, Baltimore, Maryland, November 9 – 10, 2016. Ed. R. A. Laboube, W. W. Yu. Rolla, Missouri: Department of Civil, Architectural, and Environmental Engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology, pp 837-852.
- Hur, J., Goodno, B.J., and Craig, J.I., Probabilistic Seismic Demand Modeling of Switchboard Cabinets Using Nonlinear Time History Analysis Proceedings (on CD-ROM), 2013 Structures Congress in Pittsburgh, PA, May 2-4, 2013
- Hur, J., Goodno, B.J., and Craig, J.I., Dynamic Characteristics of Switchboard Cabinets Subjected to Earthquakes Using Numerical Models: A study of evaluating seismic effects on nonstructural components, Proceedings (on CD-ROM), ASCE/SEI Structures Congress, March 29-31, 2012, Chicago, IL
- Leelardcharoen, K., L. Dueñas-Osorio, J. Craig, and B. Goodno (2011). “Seismic fragility analysis of telecommunication systems.” Proceedings of the 11th international conference on applications of statistics and probability in civil engineering (ICASP11), Zurich, Switzerland, 18 August 1-4, 2011. Ed. M. H. Faber, J. Kohler, and K. Nishijima. London, UK: CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, pp 1424-1432.
- Pinelli, J-P., Craig, J. I., Goodno, B. J., Calise, A. J., and Hsu, C-C., "An Optimal Design Approach for Hybrid Active/Passive Damping of Building Structures Using Architectural Cladding," presented by J. Craig at the ASCE-EMD Conference held in Boulder, CO, in May 1995.
- Goodno, B. J., "Research Needs: Nonstructural Systems and Components," NSF East-Coast Regional Workshop on Architectural Research Needs in Earthquake Hazard Mitigation, held at the Graduate School of Design, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, January 9-10, 1992.
- Goodno, B. J. and Craig, J. I., "The Effect of Precast Concrete Cladding on the Lateral Load Response of Buildings," Invited Presentation, presented by B. Goodno at the ACI Fall Convention, Session on Lateral Drift of Concrete Buildings, Dallas, Texas, November 10-15, 20 1991.
- Goodno, B. J. and Craig, J. I., "Performance of Precast Concrete Cladding in Recent Earthquakes," Invited Presentation, presented by B. Goodno at the ACI Spring Convention, Boston, Massachusetts, March 17-21, 1991.
- Goodno, B. J., "Cladding Performance: Some Lessons from Two Recent Major Earthquakes," presented at The International Symposium on Architectural Precast Cladding - Its Contribution to Lateral Resistance of Buildings, organized by the Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute, held in Chicago, Illinois, November 8-9, 1989.